Adelaide deluge....Moby Dick beached...

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:03 am
Nah, we have a huge christmas pageant in early November......and the decorations go up earlier than that.

Puts people in the mood to spend money.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:05 am
Firstly, the news reader is a broad, the interviewee is a broad, and Miss Wabbit is a broad--her protestations to the contrary notwithstanding.

Second--100 mm ? ! ? ! ? Oh, whine, whine, whine--that ain't but four inches . . . get a grip, Oz.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:17 am
Lol!! Yes, but our infrastructure is niot designed for it, we are an are an arid capital.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:42 am
If I received four inches in a night, I would probably think that Gus was in town.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:56 am
Deb, are you alright? Wet bunnies look almost as pathetic as wet cats. Send us a pic if you have any.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:17 am
dlowan wrote:
Nah, we have a huge christmas pageant in early November......and the decorations go up earlier than that.

Puts people in the mood to spend money.

Ah yes, the true meaning of the season... spend ye consumers, spend. That Pageant is underwritten by the Credit Unions. Something very circular going on, I think.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 03:40 pm
Yep, it is indeed underwritten by credit unions.

Mind you, they stepped in when the department store that had sponsored it since time immemorial went bust.

But....it is a wondrous and magical thing, despite that, for kids.

Such a tradition for Adelaide kiddies! Waiting with your parents in deep crowds, then passed to the front in immemorial ritual, or hoist on your parents' shoulders, as the first ripples of "Here it comes!" went through the crowd! Oh, the magic! The envy of those lucky girls who got to ride on the horse statues, Nipper and Nimble (you knew they were converted to huge rocking horses later, and you could, as a little girl, get to ride Nipper, then, at last, you were big enough to ride Nimble!!! But that was NOTHING to riding them, dressed as a fairy, in the Pageant.)

Your excitement so great that only the deepest inculcation, from babyhood, of the need to "Honour the blue line!" ( painted along the roads of the pageant's route to delineate the limits of the crowd...oh how little Adelaide kids knew how to honour that blue line!) kept you from breaching the lines of the crowd and running in to join the pageant. That and those scary clowns.

Then, at the end, Father Christmas took up residence in the Magic Cave!!!

There, amidst the wonders, you could see the REAL Father Christmas, the others, in the other stores, were His helpers.

I recall, one day, as a weeny lowan, seeing one such junior FC all alone, his knee barren, his beard drooping, and, although I had already sat on the Real Knee, I became transfixed with horror at this helper's lonely fate, and insisted that we go over and do it all over again, lest this helper be lonely and sad.

I am fine, Diane. I did, indeed, get very wet walking home the night of the deluge, since I had only my small brolly, which keeps my hair almost dry, but it is WARM rain! We are turning semi tropical with global warming, it seems. This stuff is pretty much monsoonal rain from the north, that had got itself all the way down here.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 04:13 pm
Evidently Walt Disney has taken over the weather in Australia. He'll probably do a better job than FEMA.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:13 pm
Our illustrious aristo wrote-

Quote:
My Mum, just having finished a gruelling shift,

And you know the rest.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:11 pm
dlowan wrote:
Ok, I officially give up posting pictures!!!!!

Goodfielder, do you know where there isa willy pix online?

The Advertiser one was fabbo, but it wasn't in their online version.

No dlowan, sorry, I haven't seen one. Hmmm I should have brought the camera with me and hopped over there, I'm not far from the brewery.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:16 pm
Ah the Pageant. Pageant duty is great fun but every time I do it I always get someone complaining that an adult has parked themselves at a particular spot and is refusing to let the children in front to get a good look. It's frustrating but aside from persuasion not much more can be done.

But it's delightful to watch the kids when the floats go past and right at the end is Santa. The little munchkins get really excited.

Well as soon as the Pageant is over and Santa is in his Magic Cave the shops should have the Easter eggs out.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 10:02 pm
Yeppers. Them chocolate bunnies and such will be hoppin' aboot in no time......

I LOVE the Lindt Bunnies........blush...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:12 pm
Willy flew home again today!!!!!

Helicoptered, he floated through the air, to the delight and amazement of any who saw him!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:30 pm
dlowan wrote:
Willy flew home again today!!!!!

Helicoptered, he floated through the air, to the delight and amazement of any who saw him!

I hope to see this on the tv news tonight Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:49 pm
In the Advertiser, looks way cute.

They should have him do a fly by on pageant day, or maybe as a real "float"...above the pageant?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 01:01 am
Probably too late for this year but I think even next year people would still remember him. It's heartening to think that this story could feature so strongly in the local news with all the other stuff that's going on. I get the feeling that even a few hardened journos quite got into it. I know Matt and Dave were giving it a lot of legs. As it were.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 05:00 am
Bit of relief from all the terrorists and such!

here's another "only in Adelaide".

I was walking home through the parklands last week, and there wasa couple "doing it" on top of one of the cross country jumps! A reasonably wide one.

They were being subtle about it, but it made me laugh, and startled them.....
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 09:06 pm
Hugs to weeny lowan for wanting to give the forlorn FC helper a little attention. That's our bunny to a T.

They were 'doing it' on top of a cross country jump??? My god, they must be professional athletes, I don't care how wide it is.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 09:11 pm
Well, it was wider than a single bed. A LOT wider.

Though not so wide as a queen.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 12:27 am
Oh, you punctured my awe of the feat. I could have done that. Well, maybe twenty years ago...hate those hard surfaces now that my oomph is losing its oomph a little more everyday.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:42:45