Adelaide deluge....Moby Dick beached...

Builder

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 07:14 am
It's been raining four days out of seven here for weeks on end.

Just one hour from Brisbane, which is still parched and brown.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 07:23 am
Builder wrote:

What sort of water restrictions do you currently have in Qld, Builder?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 07:39 am
msolga wrote:
dadpad wrote:
Dusting of snow up the hill.

So hot last night we just had a sheet on no blankets. Tonight may be doona weather

4 inches of rain on Buller. 1 inch here. god we neeeeeeeeeded it.

Snow?

Wow!

Yep we certainly do need it!
More, more, more, I say!

More more more more.....rain dance....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 08:07 am
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:
dadpad wrote:
Dusting of snow up the hill.

So hot last night we just had a sheet on no blankets. Tonight may be doona weather

4 inches of rain on Buller. 1 inch here. god we neeeeeeeeeded it.

Snow?

Wow!

Yep we certainly do need it!
More, more, more, I say!

More more more more.....rain dance....

<Tap, tap, tap>

Tap dancing in Melbourne for a big wet!
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 08:38 am
msolga wrote:
Builder wrote:

No restrictions at all on the Sunshine Coast. I guess that will change when Beattie's pipeline sucks all our water south to Brisvegas.

BTW, I got your PM, but apparently I'm still a nooby, so I can't reply yet.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 08:49 am
Builder wrote:
msolga wrote:
Builder wrote:

No restrictions at all on the Sunshine Coast. I guess that will change when Beattie's pipeline sucks all our water south to Brisvegas.

BTW, I got your PM, but apparently I'm still a nooby, so I can't reply yet.

No water restrictions on the Sunshine Coast! Surprised

How have you managed that, I wonder?

You must be the last place holding out in Oz!

(BTW to get PM privileges you've gotta start posting like crazy & build up your quota! I've forgotten exactly how many posts are required, but you'd better get stuck right in! The word games are useful for this purpose!:wink:)
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 09:01 am
msolga wrote:

How have you managed that, I wonder?

I've only moved here a year ago, but it is my old stomping grounds. Apparently it's due to a strange phenomenon called "forward planning". Noosa shire put funds into infrastructure to raise existing dams, and build new dams on reliable catchment areas. Expect a legal battle for monetary compensation from the current State govt.

msolga wrote:

The north of the state, and the NT has no shortage of H2O.

For that matter, neither does Brisbane, if they fixed up their antiquated leaking pipe system, if they got rid of auto-flushing urinals, and updated all public infrastructure, which is still operating full-flush toilets, hi-flow shower heads, and grossly wasteful above-ground irrigation systems.

msolga wrote:
(BTW to get PM privileges you've gotta start posting like crazy & build up your quota! I've forgotten exactly how many posts are required, but you'd better get stuck right in! The word games are useful for this purpose!:wink:)

Okay. I'll try. Seems a bit strange that after a couple of hundred posts, I can't respond to PM's. Not that this board is short of members, though.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 09:06 am
msolga wrote:

excuse me, I think we'll just make up a new set of restrictions just for Melbourne.
3A water restrictions cause Victoria doesnt exist outside the city limits.

When you start pouring the bath water into the toilet cistern let me know and I'll sympathise.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 08:21 pm
dadpad wrote:
msolga wrote:

excuse me, I think we'll just make up a new set of restrictions just for Melbourne.
3A water restrictions cause Victoria doesnt exist outside the city limits.

When you start pouring the bath water into the toilet cistern let me know and I'll sympathise.

Excuse me, but was I asking for sympathy for those outrageous water-guzzling city slickers of Melbourne city, dadpad? :wink:
I don't think so. I was merely expressing surprise that there's any place left in Oz without water restrictions of some sort. Good luck to the folk of the Sunshine Coast if they've managed their available water supply well enough not to have to restrict usage when most of the rest of us do.

Yes, I know areas of country Victoria are doing it tough. The Geelong area, for example, has been at stage 4 for ages. I suspect the reasons for 3A in Melbourne (instead of 4) are largely politically movitivated .... & are not terribly wise. However, I personally have little influence on Steve Bracks & John Thawites. Most people I know are being as stringent as possible with water. For example, today I too am flushing my toilet with grey water. I have 3 bucketfuls on my back verandah which, as a result of yesterday's rain, I now don't have to use on my garden. Does this make me alright? :wink:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 09:11 pm
A pointed comment on the political decision making Msolga. More about Victoria finishing at Yarra Glen, nothing personal.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 09:25 pm
dadpad wrote:
A pointed comment on the political decision making Msolga. More about Victoria finishing at Yarra Glen, nothing personal.

I'm certainly glad to hear that, dadpad!

Why, I was about to rattle off a long list of my other admirable water-saving practices, in self defence .... like only flushing the toilet (when no grey water is handy) every third time .... and, and ... :wink: Laughing

And I agree with you that country areas are being discriminated against in favour of Melbourne general.

Seriously, though, it's a very worrying situation. I wonder what Bracks & Thwaites have in mind if considerably more rain doesn't come our way & soon!?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 09:54 pm
Legislation is required to force people into a "no other alternative" situation.
I think this is being done with new homes ie water saving shower heads and low flow tap outlets. cisterns should be designed so that you need to do something extra to access the full flush.

Recently used the "facilities" at Myer and noticed there was no half flush option, but there are so many unhygenic and lazy people out there that It worries me not to have a full flush option.

When you wash your hands place a bucket under the tap. there is nothing wrong with using this water all day or at least 2 or 3 times. Dishwashers use huge volumes of water. Top loading washers are much less inneficiant (water wise) than front loaders. Letting the tap run until the water is hot wastes a lot.

Some people are responsible but for most it is too much trouble so we need to invent systems that make water saving automatic.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 11:54 pm
dadpad wrote:
When you wash your hands place a bucket under the tap. there is nothing wrong with using this water all day or at least 2 or 3 times. Dishwashers use huge volumes of water. Top loading washers are much less inneficiant (water wise) than front loaders. Letting the tap run until the water is hot wastes a lot.

Some people are responsible but for most it is too much trouble so we need to invent systems that make water saving automatic.

Yep, agreed. But I don't agree with the notion (being touted in some newspaper & other forums) that we should pay a lot more for water to discourage waste. The idea being that people will use less of it if it costs more. That just discriminates against the poor & will have little impact on the wealthy. More public education is a better option, I think. And a few fall-back strategies from Steve & John for when/if the worst happens, hey? :wink:

I already have buckets/containers in all my bathroom & kitchen sinks. (the $2 shop has made a small killing out of me! Laughing ) I was amazed, at first, at how much wastage there was from just washing vegetables (& hands), or waiting for the water to get hot enough to wash the dishes! Now it all goes into my buckets, then just outside my back door for later use on the garden & my pot plants, after I'm finished. And I got rid of the top loader. It was eating my clothes, anyway, so no great loss anyway! Laughing

Here's a handy idea I picked up travelling in Java (Indonesia) a number of times. The "mandi" wash! (I hope I spelt that right.) Instead of having a shower every single time I need to wash, I now have a bucket full of water sitting in my bath, with this implement (a small container)with a handle). The idea is that you soap up, concentrating on the "critical areas" .... then slosh the soap off with water from the bucket. It does the job & saves heaps more water than showering as often. Great for those really hot days when you could shower a few times after getting hot & sweaty. I used to wonder how the Javanese always looked so neat, clean & cucumber cool in really hot weather. That's how! You could have 3 or so of those a day & still use less water than showering.Very Happy
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:56:49