Adelaide deluge....Moby Dick beached...

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 12:44 am
The rain came down in my home city on Monday night.

While I slumbered peacefully, suburbs flooded, people a few streets from me were evacuated through windows, mighty trees fell, and, worst of all, the annual brewery Christmas display was washed away.

The lead escapee was a large whale, with a cheerful smile, and a chance he never sought to break for freedom.

Christened Moby Dick, this newly free Willy sailed serenely down the normally placid Torrens, finding his sea legs as he went, to the startlement of passing Adelaideans.

Breathlessly, alerted citizens wondered if he would make it all the way down the river, and out to sea, there to provide amazement to seafarers for as long as his bold fibreglass frame remained afloat.

Sadly, poor Willy has beached not far from his natural home, and will, presumably be recaptured and ignominiously returned to shore.

His escape, followed closely by a boxing kangaroo and the holy family (whose manger has become a water trough) and sundry other fantasy characters, has provided amusement to wet Adelaideans as the skies dropped over a month's rain in one night.

I must say, as I walked home that night, I DID think it wet, but, as with the 150 km gale I walked home through a couple of months ago, and thought a little inconvenient, and which lifted roofs, nearly killed a motorist, and uprooted giant trees, I had no idea that it was an unusual event.

Frankly, I think I may be building an ark soon.

I DID notice the Torrens flowing VERY fast as I crossed it, and was concerned for the many little ducklings, herded under trees, and anxiously watched by agitated parents, as well as the frightened pelicans gazing gloomily at the raging torrent, and the sad looking black swans....but a whale carrying away flood? Nah...just a brisk stream.

I will post a photo of Moby Dick later.

Has anything odd happened your way lately?

Plagues of boils? Locusts? Angels of death?

Oh, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs are still missing......

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

From the local rag:

Flood of Biblical proportions
By NICK HENDERSON
09nov05
THE rain may not have lasted for 40 days and 40 nights but Joseph, Mary and the Baby Jesus probably would have liked the help of the Ark yesterday.

Floodwaters which inundated the River Torrens swept the Christmas trio from their stable, which is part of SA Brewing's Christmas display on the riverbank.

They were joined by an aquatic friend - whale Moby Dick made an uncertain start to his swim before mastering the art of riding the waves. He reached Underdale before beaching in the debris, leaving SA Brewing staff the difficult task of plucking him from the torrent.

Tom Keller, 22, of Ottoway, could not believe his eyes when he saw the giant whale floating down the river - with a pair of boxing kangaroos not far behind.

Mr Keller decided to rescue them from a watery grave.

"The whale is sort of in its place in the water, but the kangaroos look a bit weird. We were also thinking about getting wet towels to save the whale because we were worried about it being beached," he said. SA Brewing regional manager Mark Haysman said the company was still searching for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. "There is grave concern for the safety of Joseph, Mary and Baby Jesus as water has swamped their stable," Mr Haysman said.

Boaters are being warned to avoid the West Beach area over the next few days amid predictions that there will be a shark feeding frenzy following the floods.

Fishing expert Shane Mensforth said hundreds of dead fish had been washed into the sea from the River Torrens. He said the waters near the Torrens outlet were popular with fishermen hunting for whiting and squid.

"There would be large sharks lurking around this area and I would urge all boaters, particularly small boats, to avoid the area," Mr Mensforth said.......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,269 • Replies: 72
No top replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 04:16 am
There's been some trouble out of this. I saw the Missing Persons report. Apparently in the deluge Baby Jesus was seen running away from parents, giggling and laughing as he did so. His parents couldn't pursue him as he was last seen toddling along at a rapid rate on the surface of the Torrens.
Water Operations Unit have been advised.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 04:29 am
goodfielder wrote:
There's been some trouble out of this. I saw the Missing Persons report. Apparently in the deluge Baby Jesus was seen running away from parents, giggling and laughing as he did so. His parents couldn't pursue him as he was last seen toddling along at a rapid rate on the surface of the Torrens.
Water Operations Unit have been advised.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 05:37 am
Reading about the floating nativity, it reminded me of a story my Mum told me from the War.

For a short period of time, she was transferred down to the south coast (she was a trainee nurse) for what she soon discovered to be the preparations for D Day.

The beaches were all covered in barbed wire, with sentry posts all along the front.

My Mum, just having finished a gruelling shift, went for a walk along the front with a young Irish nurse, in order to get some fresh air. It soon turned to dusk, and was quite dark by the time they made their way back along the front to go home.

A sentry had obviously seen them coming (they were in full nurses uniform) and had decided to have a laugh. He stood back in the shadows until they were almost on top of him, and then leapt forward, shouting "HALT, WHO GOES THERE?"....

The Irish nurse, being frightened half to death, screamed "JESUS, MARY AND JOSEPH"....and the sentry immediately stepped back, shouting "PASS THE HOLY FAMILY"

Apparently, the Irish nurse then gave him a right shouting at for a minute or two, but went out for a drink with him a few nights later.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 05:37 am
Sure it wasn't a godpaddle?

Hmmm...didn't Baby Jesus do a runner last year, too?

Seems like he just keeps wanting to be born again....
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 05:44 am
You can't keep a good Saviour down..three days....rock moved away and...

On a darker note..........

My mum is Irish and she worked at St Thomas' Hospital during WW2...and as a kid I remember her doing the Jesus, Mary and Joseph thing..but that was usually before I got a light belting.

But my dad was in the RAF.

*Whew* that was close.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 05:47 am
Quote:
Hmmm...didn't Baby Jesus do a runner last year, too?

No dlowan..he was Godnapped. He was abducted. But He was put back.

But only after the curses of generations.........just kidding, apparently it was all sorted within a couple of weeks.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:05 am
Willy:

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/9A/10/TheRavensRealm/13b/213b.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:09 am
Ok, I officially give up posting pictures!!!!!

Goodfielder, do you know where there isa willy pix online?

The Advertiser one was fabbo, but it wasn't in their online version.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:43 am
Dlowan, has anyone told you that you have a tiny Willy?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:54 am
Do you mean this one?..................

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/lordellpus/moby.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:57 am
Ah, Willy beached!!!

Nah, but it isn't bad.

The one in the paper had him merrily floating along, smiling happilly, and with no view of the hole in his side.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:58 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Dlowan, has anyone told you that you have a tiny Willy?

Yes.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 08:14 am
If you want to see more pictures of him, click here......

http://seven.com.au/news/storyinfo_051108_safloods

There is also a short news video, so that any American A2Ker's can hear what Dlowan sounds like......and a rather attractive victim of the floods being interviewed. She looks like one of the Coors!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 08:20 am
Ah, at last, a great picture of Willy!!! Thanks m'lud!

http://seven.com.au/catalogueFiles/news/images/051108_safloods_whale3_316x.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 08:24 am
I so do NOT sound like that news reader!

And you are wrong about women's willies.

We are at lewast as big as you guys, we just keep it inside where it belongs.....
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 08:32 am
You don't have an Australian accent, Dlowan?

Maybe she is from a different region?

It's funny, but when an American hears a Cockney accent, they inevitably think we are from Oz!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 08:35 am
Oh, I have an Oz accent all right, but less broad.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 08:47 am
The Nativity Scene was already up!?!?

I know you're a day ahead of us in Oz, but isn't this a little early to be decorating for Christmas?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 08:54 am
'Twas probably left over from last Xmas.......
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Adelaide deluge....Moby Dick beached...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:06:11