windows installer/photo gallery - help please???

Vivien

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 11:54 am
My ISP wanted me to download photogallery and when I did, Norton objected, so I didn't install it. I'm not sure how useful it would be anyway so I'm quite happy to dump it.

Trouble is I can't find it to get rid of it. It isn't listed as photogallery.

When it tries to install (I have to cancel 5 times each time I switch on Rolling Eyes ) it installs as windows installer then photogallery.

I can find windows installer - but is this for installing any new programmes or is it part of this photogallery thing? I haven't dared delete that in case it's needed.

Can I delete it? or is it important? can someone explain please?

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:02 pm
bookmarking, bcos the same thing's happening on our PC...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 02:03 am
help please???? It is driving me mad deleting the installer thingy 5 times every time I switch the computer on.

Can I delete windows installer or will that mess up installing any other new programme? is it specific to photogallery or a windows programme that I musnt' mess with?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 08:37 am
It seems to be related to a (at least for our computer) CD of photos sent to us. Pop the CD in, and a piece of the program installs, but not enough, hence the aggravation, at least that is my understanding of what is happening. It may have to do with people sending incorrectly formatted photos, hmm.
0 Replies

marcop83

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 12:37 pm
hi, i have the same problem. But I have no solutions for it, if someone could please help us
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 01:16 pm
similar, but not a cd, but it was yahoo who told me to download photogallery, which i did. Then when I went to install it, Norton said don't Rolling Eyes

so ...,. every time I switch on it tries to install and i have to keep cancelling it .... 5 times in all before it gives up and goes away - it takes ages to get into the computer and is infuriating.

I need to know if the windows installer on the list when I go to install/remove programmes is belonging to this or is an important part of my computer that shouldn't be deleted. If it is this and can be deleted I'm ok, I can do it.

I don't want to delete something called windows installer if it is used to install any new programmes.

My computer knowledge is doing stuff - not how it works!
0 Replies

marcop83

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 01:54 pm
I just fixed the problem on my computer Smile, I simply went to windows restore and went back a few days to a safe point. Ive restarted several times and havent encountered the annoying install box. This might work for you. Although if you have previously installed any new programs you will have to reinstall them. Dont install the photogallery anymore Wink Run a virus scan b4 the restore point just to be safe make sure it isn't a virus messing with config files.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 03:35 pm
good idea - only I downloaded it ages ago - when??????????? I might investigate that when I am not so tired - thanks Very Happy
0 Replies

marcop83

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 05:40 pm
I hope you get to fix the problem, because that pop up install box is so annoying Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

jack junk

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:59 pm
I just fixed the problem thanks to
www.thetechguide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19296

I just ran the install cd that came with my hp printer and that was all it took. Good luck.

Jack
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 10:44 am
NO!!!! it's nothing to do with printers etc - it was to do with my ISP

I want to know about windows installer so I don't do any harm - I'd like to understand what I'm doing and learn more - anyone - explain for me???
0 Replies

jg

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:52 pm
Hi all,
I encountered the problem after I updated XP Home to XP Pro. PhotoGallery is obviously part of the HP software (I've got an PSC 1610). After reinstalling the HP installation software the problem was solved.

Best Regards,
Juergen
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:06 am
oh thank you Smile

sorry for the delay in replying but I've only just spotted your answer to me
0 Replies

EllenM

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 11:54 am
Photo gallery pop up
Since your posting was dated 2005, you might already know the answer to your problem. But I too had the problem...until yesterday, and who knows how many others are still cursing the annoying Photo Gallery pop up box! I clicked on "Start, All Programs"...I was looking for something else when I saw "Windows Installer Clean Up" all by itself...don't know why I hadn't seen it before. I opened it because the annoying Photo Gallery box also included the text "Windows Installer." I looked down through the list and found Photo Gallery. So I highlighted just the Photo Gallery line and deleted it. The message about deleting things was a bit scary, but I decided to take a chance. This morning when I booted up the machine...no annoying Photo Gallery box!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 01:01 pm
thank you! I'll try it - no I never have sorted it! I just allow about 15 minutes to get into the computer between that and Norton <rolls eyes>
0 Replies

paulroz

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 04:20 pm
The dreaded photo gallery pop up.
Smile I must write to thank you for posting your help me request to get rid of that annoying pop up, by reading all of your replies i have after 12 months of frustration managed to delete the pest. I hope you have too.
AGAIN, MANY THANKS.
0 Replies

DragonicWolf

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 12:52 am
I have the same problem too, and its VERY VERY VERY VERY annoying. Not only does it pop up on startup, it pops up when i use other programs like movie maker, hp director and some other stuff. I realise i have to use the hp CD to install it in, but i tried once, and thwe only thing it did was copy some stupid files into my computer OVER AND OVER AGAIN, it never ends. I really dont know what to do now.
0 Replies

GuyHelpingOut

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:52 pm
Just do what EllenM said, I just did and it worked. If you don't have it, you can install Windows Installer Clean Up for free. Once you have it, run it and just remove the Photo Gallery item from the list.
Astonchap

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 09:26 am
@GuyHelpingOut,
I had this problem for 18 months on a PC at work, finally got rid of it and took 2 mins, thanks so much for the advice !
0 Replies

hedrinjt

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 10:36 am
Another way to get rid of the problem is to download and install the windows installer cleanup tool. You can find it at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Download and run this tool with the default settings. When you do this you a window will pop up with all of the software that windows installer is clinging to. Look through the list and find the photo gallery and remove it. Reboot and windows installer shouldn't care about the photo gallery.
0 Replies