Teenage kicks - Belated John Peel commemoration thread

nimh

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:20 pm
All the drastic events here in Holland and there in the US kept me from putting up a thread, but he deserves one: the great, now late, John Peel - trailblazer, enthusiator, discoverer, free mind - free actor and protector of every major new groundbreaking genre and movement in cutting-edge music in the past thirty years: John Peel, of the Peel Sessions, and just how many of our musical heroes cut some Peel Sessions before they cut through and became famous? And how many great musical minds became famous only thanks to those Peel Sessions, and the dogged insistence Peel would show on any new act he truly believed in?

John Peel, without whom music history wouldn't have been the same, but who only ever acted out of plain, pure love for the thing.

Were any of you twitching the dial back when on your radio, to catch some buzzed-through distorted reception of his BBC radio show? I could only catch Radio One if the wind was right, when I was in high school ... and how many kids did tune in to his show, out of curiosity and certainty that he would always come up with something good and totally new? And how many of 'em became trailblazers themselves? I'm listening now to a DJ spin his house records, but he too will later in the show play some wholly different tracks that he remembers first having heard on John Peel - folks, a thread for John Peel.

Thousands mourn Peel at funeral

Your Tributes to John Peel
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 667 • Replies: 6
No top replies

nimh

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:45 pm
There dont seem to be any kind of complete list of Peel Sessions ever made (well, there'd be thousands), but here's 214 records Amazon comes up with when queried ... and this site has every Peel Session since 1992 listed ... plus a nice little review on what a Peel Session is and how Peel himself explained it ...

http://www.vheissu.freeserve.co.uk/images/john_peel_205.jpg
"Teenage kicks right through the night"

I have only two Peel Sessions records myself, I think ... but just the two of 'em provide a typically eclectic mix already: some of the first tracks Siouxie and the Banshees ever cut - and a sampler of Planet Dog goa trance tracks.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:55 pm
i used to have a billy bragg john peel sessions cd (i wonder were it went, hmmm), it was great lots of non album tracks and quite afew alternate takes

john will be greatly missed
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 01:16 pm
bump pa bump bump
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 01:37 pm
In 1968 when I arrived in Wales Peel was a dj of no particular distinction. Unfortunately I lost touch with his work.
Thanks for the tribute nimh.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 04:44 pm
i also have an xtc box set called transistor blast, the first and second disc are made up of many john peel appearances
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 05:19 pm
I learned so much from John Peel's show during the 1980s when I was a teenager - he showcased so many musicians who had little "chart" success.

Many went on to be big hits in later years. I remember, for example, hearing Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls" long before it was widely known, on that show.

His later years on Radio 4 were also a marvellous stage for his personality, without much reference to music at all.

A truly great and publically charming man.

KP
0 Replies