What happens after the GOP repeals Obamacare?

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 12:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Taking away health insurance will kill people. That's simply Logic 101. Probably too difficult for you to comprehend.
Early detection is the key to survival. That's the reason most doctors recommend a annual physical with your doctor.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 12:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Then perhaps you can provide us with evidence to this effect that isn't "logical" speculation.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 12:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
https://www.cdc.gov/family/checkup/
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 12:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, yes that supports the notion that regular check-ups are important but it doesn't show a connection between lack of health insurance and mortality.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 01:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You're too ignorant to understand the connection.
giujohn

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 01:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Taking away health insurance will kill people. That's simply Logic 101. Probably too difficult for you to comprehend.
Early detection is the key to survival. That's the reason most doctors recommend a annual physical with your doctor.

According to the statistics seeing a doctor is a leading cause of death in the United States to the tune of over a two hundred and fifty thousand deaths a year by medical malpractice.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 01:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Then perhaps you can provide us with evidence to this effect that isn't "logical" speculation.

To him logic is a big word that's why he likes to throw it around a lot.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 01:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The absence of healthcare insurance has never been proven to have killed anyone.

People without it can go to Emergency Rooms for care, and not be denied service.

That's far to expensive an alternative, but the notion that people will die without Obamacare is ridiculous.

Finn,

You seem to be arguing that things like Cancer Screening, and Blood Pressure medication don't save lives. Is this what you mean to argue?

In one of my recent regular medical check ups, I had the doctor check on a mole that looked strange to me. He had it excised and biopsied. I wouldn't have gone to an emergency room for that until I had other symptoms. You wouldn't either.

People who get diseases like melanoma treated early have a very high survival rate. People who walk into emergency rooms with melanoma are generally spitting up blood and experiencing pain. They don't have a very high survival rate.

Yes, it is illogical to say that having health insurance doesn't save lives.
giujohn

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 01:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You're too ignorant to understand the connection.

Typical liberal tactics...Call someone a name when they don't have an intelligent retort.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 03:34 pm
@maxdancona,
Then surely there are some legitimate statistics to prove this.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 03:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You seem to be rejecting the statistics that are already offered. Are you playing a word game here?

- There are clear statistics the people with health insurance have longer life expectancy than those without it - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/06/harvard-study-massachusetts-health-care_n_5274795.html

- It is clear that early detection and treatment of several major diseases greatly increase survival rates -
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-survival-rates

Are arguing that one has to find specific cases where someone would have certainly died without life insurance? I don't know how one would provide such a case... other than to point out that I am damn glad that I can go to a doctor to get a strange looking mole checked out before it turns into a medical emergency. (It is pretty easy to show that people who get moles checked and removed if medically warranted are far less likely to die of melanoma, but if you are asking me to assert that removing this mole saved my life... that's irrelevant to the argument).

Do you have a point that I am missing?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 04:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Perhaps.

There are no statistics that can directly support the argument that a lack of heath insurance causes deaths.

You are assuming, and possibly correctly that a person, without Ins, with a mole like yours would not go to an ER to have it checked out. You are also assuming that the same person, with Health Insurance, would do as you did.

Having health insurance doesn't make people smart about check-ups.

The bottom line as well is that no one knows, at the present moment, that all of the people currently insured via Obamacare will not be once the changes are made. It's just fear mongering.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 04:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
There are no statistics that can directly support the argument that a lack of heath insurance causes deaths.

Good. So there is no deeper point there that I am missing.

The statistics do clearly show that providing health insurance to a population of people will significantly increase their life expectancy and decrease their chance of dying over a given time period.

You are playing a word game. The same argument could be used to say there are no statistics to directly support that smoking causes death (and historically that argument has been made).

People should wear seat belts. People should stop smoking. People should have health insurance that provides regular checkups and preventative care. Whether the it is correct to say these things "save lives" doesn't really matter. The more people do these things, the more people will live until old age.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 08:13 pm
@maxdancona,
Some people buy into the conservative crap about government health insurance and death panels. There's no cure for stupid people.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 08:45 pm
What happens after the GOP repeals Obamacare?

dysentery, rickets, polio and a touch of scurvy
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 09:33 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm not playing a word game.

The people who insist that thousands will die if Obamacare is repealed are playing a very cynical game.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2017 07:42 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I can see why that assertion bothers you.

However, the fact that Obamacare has significantly decreased the number of Americans who are without health insurance is undoubtedly a good thing. (Admitting this fact doesn't mean that you have to like Obamacare as a whole).

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2017 11:13 am
@maxdancona,
The GOP keep pushing for the repeal of ACA but doesn't have a replacement. Just cutting ACA without a replacement will kill many people who depend on ACA for medical care. The GOP is a fraud making threats they know they can't keep.
One of the reasons I quit being a republican is their gamesmanship with people's lives such as ACA.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2017 11:37 am
@cicerone imposter,
I don't agree with you either, Cicerone. There are many voices in the GOP that are calling for a replacement... and many who realize that this replacement will have to be done at the same time that Obamacare is repealed.

Quote:
Just cutting ACA without a replacement will kill many people

I suppose this kind of rhetoric is what Finn was talking about. If you say it this way, I think Finn is correct.

Is there any room for reasoned discussion on Able2know rather than this hyperbolic partisan mudslinging?

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2017 12:09 pm
@maxdancona,
It's funny you believe that. The GOP has already tried 50 times to repeal ACA without a replacement.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/yet-another-obamacare-repeal-vote/amp?client=safari

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:44:34