What happens after the GOP repeals Obamacare?

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 04:14 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

there is now an assertion that every American should have health insurance.

Why should they? I've never understood that one.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 04:59 pm
@McGentrix,
Yeah. **** 'em.Let the rich have all the doctors and medicine.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 05:22 pm
@McGentrix,
There is a kind of drama here, that some of us can be saved for a while, sometimes, if good medicine is available.

There is also the matter of who is worth saving, a philosophical and moral argument I'm aware of, but will skip around for now.

Sometimes a while matters. Making wills, the least of it. Time to cherish. I also pick up a retribution thing, that we didn't work as hard as you did. (Snort)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 08:16 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Yeah. **** 'em.Let the rich have all the doctors and medicine.

I know you like drama, but quit with the effects. Explain to me why you think everyone should have health insurance? Some people don't want it.

Health Insurance does not equal Health Care. I know that you've mistaken them to be interchangeable, but they aren't.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 09:12 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix, I would like to know your opinion on this. I remember a story a while ago about a person who decided (or forgot) to not buy fire insurance. The firemen came and watched the house burn down (to make sure the fire didn't spread). But since the homeowner didn't have insurance, they didn't save the house.

Is that what you think should happen with health insurance? If a person has a treatable disease, but can't get the money for the treatment and doesn't have insurance... do we let them die?

This is a sincere question. If our society doesn't provide health insurance (and I assume this doesn't mean picking up the tab for people who don't have health insurance but get sick)... then we are letting people die.

There is a logical argument for letting people die if they don't have the resources to pay for their own health care needs.... but I don't think our society will stomach that.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 09:19 am
@maxdancona,
That story has to be well over 100 years old. No FD today would allow a house to burn down because the owner didn't have insurance. That dates back to a time when the Insurance companies formed Fire Brigades.

Society does pick up the tab for the people who are sick and require treatment. One of the arguments for Obamacare was that it would be cheaper than leaving these folks to obtain treatment from ERs and Hospitals.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 11:27 am
@McGentrix,
The main reason some people don't want coverage is because this country has never had universal health care. Something beyond and better than Obamacare. Once it ultimately gets instated, most doubters will sing out the other side of their ass. I believe such a system will ultimately bring the pharmaceutical industry to heel, bunch of criminals that I consider them to be, and we will get back to practicing medicine to heal, rather than having people on lifetime prescriptions for symptoms. And the child of the dope addict lost in homeless despair deserves healthcare every bit as much as some privileged asshole, who inherited his fortune from an industrious parent, in a penthouse suite.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 12:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/t/no-pay-no-spray-firefighters-let-home-burn/
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 12:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
That "privileged asshole" Trump isn't even a good businessman. He's declared bankruptcy at least four times, and if he had invested his money in index funds, he would be much richer today. Yea, he inherited his money and bigotry. A sorry excuse for a human.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:04 pm
@maxdancona,
As life goes, people make choices. Some choices are good and other choices are bad. Whatever choice you make, you should live with the results of those choices.

It's terrible that America has a homeless problem. I feel bad for them and I know that if it weren't for the choices I made, I could very well be one of those people. Fortunately, I didn't make the choices in life that would lead me down that path.

Instead of partying, I studied. Instead of drinking, I read. Instead of being a bum, I got a job. I started delivering pizza's in a car I bought by working at a Boy Scout Summer Camp. I then became an asst manager. I moved on and had several menial jobs that supported me through college that I paid for with student loans. I choose to go to a community college for 2 years and a SUNY for 2 years. I studied and graduated in 4 years like you Are supposed to. I made all of those choices and now I have health insurance, as crappy as it is, because I made the right choices.

Had I made the wrong choices, I would not have my hand out begging for assistance. I'd be working menial jobs still. Why should society have to pay when you make a bad decision? If you want health insurance, get some. If don't then you are gambling with your life and for some people, that's how they live. If you make bad decisions and as a result you should die from that? Then you should have made better decisions. Gene pool gets a bit cleaner.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:12 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Had I made the wrong choices, I would not have my hand out begging for assistance. I'd be working menial jobs still. Why should society have to pay when you make a bad decision? If you want health insurance, get some. If don't then you are gambling with your life and for some people, that's how they live. If you make bad decisions and as a result you should die from that? Then you should have made better decisions. Gene pool gets a bit cleaner.

This is a perfectly logical point of view. However, let's be honest about the uncomfortable part of this. Some of the people we are allowing to "gamble with their lives" will end up losing... and the result will be people not getting the medical care they need to live.

And, people will die of treatable diseases.

This is a philosophical question. You can say that if people aren't smart enough to plan for the future than they should take the consequences. I think that this is a politically problematic.

The issue gets even more complicated when you deal with issues like poverty and class. Some people are faced with the choice of sending their kids to college, or buying health insurance for currently healthy people. The choice is not always clear, and people will lose out.

I agree that your position is completely logical... if you are willing to let the people who gamble with their health (and lose) face the conseqences.

I prefer living in a society where we don't let people make this gamble with their health... especially when the stakes are so high.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:20 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The issue gets even more complicated when you deal with issues like poverty and class. Some people are faced with the choice of sending their kids to college, or buying health insurance for currently healthy people. The choice is not always clear, and people will lose out.

People should be sending their kids to more affordable colleges then. If they are that poor, then there are grants they can apply for and financial aid is available. The choice shouldn't be that difficult. Buy the health insurance you can afford. Affordable health insurance can be readily less expensive by making it competitive.

Make Dr's and Hospitals post costs like a restaurant would. Open up state borders and allow nationwide insurance plans like car insurance is. I'd gladly switch to Geico health insurance. I can bundle it with my home and auto insurance.

There are ways of making health care affordable without giving hand outs. But, people need to live with the choices they make. You want to OD on drugs? Please, do us all a favor and do it faster.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:29 pm
@maxdancona,
His house didn't burn because he didn't have insurance which is what you wrote.

Still a dastardly deed by the firemen, but it was because had not paid their fee.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 02:18 pm
@McGentrix,
I agree that your perspective is perfectly logical. I disagree with it on philosophical grounds, not on logical ones.

The question is what kind of society we want to be a part of. I don't think it is acceptable to let people suffer on something as important as health care because of difficult choices, or bad decisions.

This is a question of moral values, not of logical reasoning.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 04:10 pm
@maxdancona,
I agree; I've always advocated for universal health care. All Americans should have access to good health care. Most developed countries provide it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 05:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Fair enough. You guys should pay for that help then.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 05:23 pm
@McGentrix,
It is a social burden. I want the society I live in to share that responsibility. That is part of what it means to live in a society. We have shared responsibility and shared values.

We live in a democracy. This will be decided politically. The GOP controls the government now... but once a social benefit has been granted, it is very difficult to take it away again.

We will see how it works out.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 06:28 pm
I am amazed at the lack of understanding for other people by all you smart guys. This may be part of the problem, spoiledbratnoscity. Yes, I know you worked hard to achieve.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 06:32 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

We live in a democracy. This will be decided politically. The GOP controls the government now... but once a social benefit has been granted, it is very difficult to take it away again.

Very true, and I like to think I foresaw this when ACA was passed. It may be bad overall, but those who actually benefited from it are going to make themselves noticed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 08:46 am
As near as I can figure, the Republican "replacement plan" is to shift it all to the individual states. Since the states have been derelict in that respect, historically, I predict that means most states will continue cutting services instead of actually having health care of any sort. Except for elected officials of course. The state will help you if you are elected to state office.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 07:41:24