Wasps/Hornets in Wall

sewcial

Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:49 am
We have a nest of some kind of wasp or hornet in the wall of our house. We know, for a fact, that it is under the siding, but don't know if they have built right into the actual wall. They do most of their coming and going from the nest on the outside, but many of them get inside the house. I can't live with them buzzing my head of dark hair constantly. About 2 weeks ago we attempted to rid them with a spray, but, either it is not effective or we didn't get up into the root of the nest. In the process I received several stings. They come into the house on the main floor as well as through the basement where I have my sewing and ironing area. They come into the basement at a rate of one every couple minutes if I have a light on down there. I am afraid to work there as they buzz my head and land on my neckjavascript:emoticon('Shocked') (the flourescent lights are quite low and just over my head). Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get to the nest to kill these.
They are not honey bees. We are former bee keepers, so we know honey bees well. I do not know the different types of hornets or wasps. These were very small and not aggressive a couple weeks ago, but now are very large and seem more aggressive. The stings I got when trying to spray them were because some of them got inside my sleeve. This is a serious problem . I phoned an exterminator (Terminix) and they want me to sign a year's contract in order to come and kill the wasps. That is close to $300. Does anyone have a better suggestion? I can't find anyone using the phone book and have been searching online, but not finding anyone who specializes in this type of extermination.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 16,655 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed
No top replies

Noddy24

Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:57 am
Comparison shop for a price, but I'd go with a professional. You're infested and your central heating may keep the hive active year round.

Nature can be cuddly or expensive--you've got the expensive kind.
0 Replies

sewcial

Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:21 am
Thanks, Noddy. I'll keep searching. The local phone book isn't much help, but I'll call some garden shops and see if they know anyone.
0 Replies

jespah

Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:28 am
Sounds like there's a hole somewhere - perhaps all that needs to happen is for it to be plugged.
0 Replies

sewcial

Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:11 am
There is obviously a hole, made by them or there before they settled. The problem is that it is under the siding of the house. Even if we could find it and block it, when the outside entrance is blocked, they will just use the one to the inside. They are coming in at the ceiling light fixtures in my basement as well as through the windows on the first floor.

I just got off the phone with the agricultural extension office. The man I spoke with said they sound like a large type of yellow jacket (3/4" long and quite fat on the tail). They are not in the business of killing insects, but he agreed this situation is an exception. His suggestion was to make a platform (using a box or whatever) and put a small pile of Sevin dust on it. They will have to fly through it to get in and out of their hole. This way they will kill themselves off. He said the queens will probably leave once all the others are gone if they don't get contaminated as the others go in and out. Hopefully this will work because it will be very difficult and costly to get at the source. I am not ready to rip the siding off the house to find the hole.

*A warning about Sevin. It is very lethal to honey bees, so don't use it if you have honey bees around. It is also very poisonous to children and pets and even adult humans. It is not recommended by natural gardeners. Do NOT put it inside the house and not up into the ceiling.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:24 am
This is more than a nest under the siding--that would be local. You are infested. The yellow jackets have access to two levels of your living space and regard this as theirliving space.

Yellow jackets, you've probably noticed, tend to be aggressive and irrational particularly in defense of their living space.

If you're really into DIY:

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/yellowjackets.htm

Sevin is frightening stuff--particularly in your living space.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Sara32

Wed 20 Mar, 2013 09:22 am
@sewcial,
The only pest control team can do this for you. It is not so easy to get that nest permanently out of that place. It need proper treatment. You can show it to any good pest control company which provide you its solution with guarantee to never come back again.
Ragman

Wed 20 Mar, 2013 09:33 am
@Sara32,
That's good advice but you may want to notice the date stamp for this thread is 8-1/2 yrs. ago.
0 Replies

jeromecorey

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 12:24 am
@sewcial,
I have two wasp nests in my garden, one in a wall basket and one in a wooden bird box. As long as I know where they are I leave them alone as they are beneficial insects. I do treat them with respect though as I suffer from anaphylaxis if I get stung.
0 Replies