which Nietzsche is best?

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 07:53 pm
I get to choose one of his books to read (not BofT), so which of his books do you think has the most value, and isn't too complicated or long?

gracias
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,997 • Replies: 13
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 01:52 am
@perennialloner,
90 Minute Nietzche, is a favorite of Americanns
perennialloner

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 05:31 am
@farmerman,
I looked it up, and it's not solely Nietzsche's writings. It's some other guy's interpretation. Im required to read a book he authored, and give my interpretation, I think.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 08:37 am
@perennialloner,
I've read both Behold The Man and Thus Spoke Zarathustra, neither are that long or particularly complicated.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 10:55 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

I get to choose one of his books to read (not BofT), so which of his books do you think has the most value, and isn't too complicated or long?

gracias

With that attitude you won't go far... Had it been my case and I would be asking for the opposite criteria...long and complex are supposed to be appealing.
perennialloner

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 11:22 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
how is long and complex supposed to be appealing? some things long and complex are long and complex for the sake of being long and complex when they could've expressed the same idea to the same extent in ten times fewer the words.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 11:36 am
@perennialloner,
...well that's true when its true isn't it ?
There is a distinction between complex and complicated, and I for one, would not recommend any complicated reading.
(specially in Philosophy where being clear is absolutely necessary)
Not to confuse with being dumbed down or simplified.
perennialloner

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 12:27 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I understand.
according to your criteria then, do you have a recommendation?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 01:23 pm
@perennialloner,
Not in this case no. I don't have a particular preference when it comes to Nietzsche. Not only his writing is awfully misleading but his ideas on the roll of Man in the world are wrong at a base level. Nietzsche is somewhat trivial and lacks depth on his departure of metaphysics...hence its appealing to young men, naive scientists, and American pragmatic philosophy at large.
Believing man is free to build its destiny against Being is an appalling act of wishful thinking.
perennialloner

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 06:51 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
he might be important to study in terms of influence though
Razzleg

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 11:19 pm
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

gracias

Twilight of the Idols is one of his shorter works, and yet a pretty good summary of his later, more influential φ.
perennialloner

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 07:02 am
@Razzleg,
thank you
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 07:28 am
@perennialloner,
In that sense he was very important in the context of the first half of the XX Century and still is today. Twilight of the Idols is not a bad choice.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 02:04 pm
I find Nietzsche peatzsche.
0 Replies