Sugar and Hummers

Pitter

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 11:57 am
Is there any reason I should use refined white sugar instead of unrefined light brown suger for in my hummer feeders?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,095 • Replies: 10
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 12:09 pm
I wuld suspect just the opposite. Refined sugar is not good for any creature.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 12:51 pm
I agree with Nick--although I use so little sugar of any sort that I usually mix my hummingbird nectar from the same two pound box I use for other visitors' coffee.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 04:30 pm
sugar's sugar. Refined will dissolve a little better.i use refined in my hummer feeders, what can it do? give them cancer? they only live 2 years anyway. Im in the process of loading the little suckers up for their migration south. We have about 10 or more hummers, including one that sits near the feeders and sort of chirps at us. Its landed on my wifes finger and sat there, they must have crappy eyes from all the sugar syrup
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:58 pm
Ok then I'll give it a try, just wanted to be sure it wasn't specifically bad for them.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:00 pm
I forgot that sugar is different south of the USA
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:07 pm
I heard that if the woman puts a certs on her tongue while she...oops, wrong kind of hummer.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:51 pm
In fact I just dropped by hummingbirds.net which advises white cane suger only as the iron in "raw" suger can poison them.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:56 pm
Hello my friend Prof Pitter: What if I heat white sugar in water with red coloring? Will that protect those little souls?
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 05:38 am
The consensus seems to be that the red coloring is more appealing to us than to them. I use it when I put out a feeder for the first time but I can't say if it makes any difference. Once they start coming to it I just use suger and water. At my new location at a little over 2000m they come in droves.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:05 am
we bought those little Pyrex feeders with a red bottom. Into these we place a clear 1:3 sugar syrup. This stokes the little guys up and theyre whizzing around all day.
0 Replies