Are the sentences correct?

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 02:08 am
Please advise me if the following sentences are correct. Thank you.

We have received a complaint from a customer, expressing his dissatisfaction about the presence of uneven floor at the no.3 squash court, which, however, did undergo an repair work last month. To ensure our clubhouse safety, your urgent assistance in re-examining the uneven floor is sought.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,992 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 02:56 am
We have received a complaint from a customer about the the uneven floor at the no.3 squash court, which was repaired last month. For safety reasons please urgently re-examine the floor.

chowbarry

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 07:21 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs,thank you for your correction.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 01:09 pm
@chowbarry,
A customer expresses his dissatisfaction about the uneven floor of squash court no.3, which however had undergone repair last month. To ensure our clubhouse safety we urgently seek your assistance

This of course assumes it's not not the recipient who made last month's repair. However if that's the case Chow, and if it makes any difference, please let us know

Quote:
For safety reasons please urgently re-examine the floor.
Tes is wrong here Doesn't happen often, Tes) as it suggests your urgency during the exam
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 01:29 pm
Well, Dale, in the finance department where I am an accountant, we are always writing things like "Please urgently check the figures on payment schedule 2267". The urgency applies to the end result and all actions that I wish to happen to bring that about.

Sometimes we write "Please, as a matter of urgency, [do whatever]".

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 01:31 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
it suggests your urgency during the exam

No. It covers the whole sequence: before (scheduling a check as soon as possible), during (check briskly) and after (take necessary action at once).
dalehileman

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 03:56 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
your urgent assistance
seems to be all or mainly yours

Quote:
Please, as a matter of urgency, [do whatever]
gives much better impression of whole sequence
chowbarry

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 07:40 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman, thank you for your advice.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 02:09 pm
@chowbarry,
Quite welcome Chow, however into guesswork

However technical correct Tes, I still maintain that the original construction implies you as the urgent one
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 02:21 pm
Quote:
Quote:

For safety reasons please urgently re-examine the floor.

Tes is wrong here Doesn't happen often, Tes) as it suggests your urgency during the exam

To me, the sentence obviously, clearly and unambiguously means that the sender is asking the recipient to urgently (at once, without delay) re-examine the floor.

Not sure what 'your urgency' is supposed to mean in your above remark.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 04:33 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
asking the recipient to urgently
Yes Tes that's precisely my point. However in your #......152 above
you imply urgency all around
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 12:03 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
However in your #......152 above
you imply urgency all around

I don't see that at all. I wrote: "in the finance department where I am an accountant, we are always writing things like "Please urgently check the figures on payment schedule 2267". The urgency applies to the end result and all actions that I wish to happen to bring that about."

In that post I described how I might phrase a request to someone to do something urgently. Please explain how I implied urgency 'all round' (whatever that means).

selectmytutor

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 04:28 am
@chowbarry,
We have received a complaint from a customer about the uneven floor at the no.3 squash court, which was repaired last month so for the safety reasons please urgently re-examine the floor.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 10:52 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
Please explain how I implied urgency 'all round'

By
Quote:
and all actions that I wish to happen
I apologize Tes most profusely for apparently misunderstanding

We niggle over nothing
dalehileman

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 10:54 am
@selectmytutor,
Quote:
so for the safety reasons
Okay Tut but I wouldn'ta used the "the"
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 11:30 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
We niggle over nothing

Meanwhile the floor is still uneven, I bet!
dalehileman

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 03:46 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Betcha
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 04:02 pm
@dalehileman,
If you're gonna bet, put a couple of bucks on the Mega Lotto in California. It's worth over $400 mil.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-mega-millions-jackpot-third-largest-ever-20160705-snap-story.html

The price is worth the dream. Even a movie ticket for a feel good couple hours costs a lot more. .................. Wink
dalehileman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 11:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks Cis for the link. I for one find it remarkable that gambling was considered immoral and was discouraged by officialdom until it was discovered as a fine way to stuff Gov't Coffers
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 01:48 pm
@dalehileman,
Going out for lunch now, and gonna buy a couple lotto tickets - and dream. ha ha ha....