Is lying to protect yourself ok with God?

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 11:02 am
So my mom and I rarely get along. I just turned 18 and this morning I registered to vote by myself. I registered to vote democrat because there is only one candidate I like and that happens to be his party. However, my mom is a republican and wants me to vote republican as well. If I tell her I voted democrat she'll be angry with me and I don't want to start another argument, but if I lie and say I registered republican, there shouldn't be any problem. I know God says lying is wrong and I much rather please him than my mother, but I really don't want to upset her again. I don't know what to do. Help!

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 11:10 am
@missmusical,
It is absolutely no one else's business how you vote and that includes your mother.

I can't imagine how someone was raised who would ask someone else how they vote - let alone think they can tell them how to vote. It boggles my mind.

If your mother presses you, simply confirm that you registered or voted and change the subject.

0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 11:14 am
@missmusical,
Suck it up and tell her the truth if it means so much to you.

Have an actual discussion with your mother about your choice and why you think it's better for the country.
missmusical

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 11:23 am
@maporsche,
The problem is there is no such thing as a discussion in my house. It's either mindless conversation or an argument. No in betweens. The last time my mother and I had a 'discussion' on politics she got physical. It's not as simple as it seems.
jespah

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 11:36 am
@missmusical,
Then say nothing and change the subject. We have a secret ballot in this country for a reason.

PS If your mother is getting physical with you, then you've got issues that go far beyond political disagreements.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 12:19 pm
@missmusical,
Even an atheist like me knows that ' not telling lies' is not one of the specific Ten Commandments, but 'honoring your father and mother' is ! Smile
maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 12:26 pm
@missmusical,
I don't think you did anything wrong. You are protecting your privacy, and more importantly you did the right thing.

If you vote Republican, God will never forgive you.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 12:52 pm
@fresco,
Actually, not bearing false witness (a type of lie) is in the Ten C's. But I agree, the generic 'don't lie' is not in there.
0 Replies

manden

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 12:53 pm
To lie if you are in danger and if you don't damage by it the creation - human
beings and the nature - is possible .
0 Replies

The Anointed

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2021 09:44 pm
@missmusical,
You ask the question, "Is lying to protect yourself (Or anyone else for that matter) ok with God."

There are two ways to righteous and two ways to sin.

Here are two scenarios; "A man sitting on his front porch see a young man running down the street, who then hides in the bushes in his yard, within moments come a mob of rough heads with baseball bats and fence pickets, they yell to the man asking if he had seen a young man run past? he lied and said the the young fellow had indeed run passed his house and had disappeared around the corner up ahead, the mob then took off in pursuit.

The second scenario, we have an over religious person sitting on his front porch, he also see the young man hiding in the bushes, and when the following mob of thugs ask him if he had see the young man, fearing that if he lied he might lose his eternal soul, he reveals the young boys hiding place, who is then flogged to within an inch of his life.

Which of the two men do you believe that God would declare as having acted in righteousness?
0 Replies