Derivations vs. symbolisation?

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2015 06:05 pm
Hi, I am a college student who is currently taking her first logic class this quarter.
I find that symbolization comes much more naturally to me than derivation. Is that normal, especially for students who has a difficult time in math? And most importantly, can I become good enough at it to get a fairly reasonable class?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,960 • Replies: 2
No top replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2015 07:45 pm
@collegestudent123,
What is symbolization?? How is it comparable to derivations??

Mathematics is, to a large extent symbolic logic if that is your meaning. In particular algebras can be developed on different basic postulates governing the meaning of the various operations. Thus we have the algebra of real numbers in which multiplication distributes over addition, but addition does not distribute over multiplication. If instead we allow both operations to distribute over the other we have Boolean algebra which is the language of set theory and some applications of symbolic logic.
0 Replies

FosterPARU

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 06:08 am
@collegestudent123,
I think it's best to choose whatever subject you feel is best suited for your needs and skills.
0 Replies