What does it mean in bold?

kristal

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 02:46 am

35' FOUL! Milner shifts the ball from right to left and digs out a hanging cross towards the back stick, but the referee penalises Kane for slightly nudging Jaager in the back when trying to meet the cross.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 750 • Replies: 10
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by kristal
kengreen

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 12:15 pm
@kristal,
It should be an intention to emphasise the words in bold but could be a matter of finger trouble by the typist.
Ken Green
0 Replies

izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 12:42 pm
@kristal,
kristal wrote:

35' FOUL! Milner shifts the ball from right to left and digs out a hanging cross towards the back stick, but the referee penalises Kane for slightly nudging Jaager in the back when trying to meet the cross.

This is football talk.

Shift is to move.

A cross is when a forward kicks the ball across the goal towards a striker.

A hanging cross is when the ball comes down in front of the goal as opposed to moving across it.

The back stick is one of the goalposts.

Kane tried to meet the ball that had been crossed, he tried to kick the ball, presumably towards goal.

Digging out suggests Milner managed to do it despite a shaky start, probably with a defender.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 12:59 pm
@kristal,
kristal wrote:

Nothing to add to izzy's excellent explanation but - before I head to the bookies - can you confirm if Liverpool score the resultant penalty?

izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 02:09 pm
@lmur,
Thank you very much. I'm at a quandary re Spurs Liverpool, they've both stolen shamelessly from us. I guess Spurs tips it for having swiped our manager, so they'll probably win.
lmur

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 02:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Koeman has ruled himself out of the running for the poisoned chalice that is manager of the Dutch national team. Good news for you.

While watching Sky Sports News earlier as they relayed interviews with Koeman, Klopp, Bilic and Wenger, I was struck by the range of accents and how well they have all have mastered the language. McLaren's cringe-inducing interview with a Dutch journalist came to mind!
izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 03:07 pm
@lmur,
The Dutch have got a head start, they all seem to speak it.

Our biggest fear for Koeman is if a big club shows an interest, Arsenal, Chelsea or the two Manchesters. I don't think he'd move for Liverpool or Tottenham.
0 Replies

kristal

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 06:30 am
Wow. Thank you so much izzythepush and everyone.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 07:00 am
@kristal,
There are different words so there mean is also different like "shifts" means "to move".
timur

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 07:59 am
@selectmytutor,
So there, mean guy!

What about selecting a tutor for yourself?
0 Replies

donaldselby

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 12:18 am
@selectmytutor,
means to move
0 Replies