UNHIP SINGERS AND BANDS/GUILTY PLEASURES

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 06:52 pm
In 1967, the Brothers Gibb produced their first song to chart in the United States and the United Kingdom . . . i really liked this song. Ten years later, they were icons of the Disco music scene, disdained by all true lovers of rock and roll. The Bee Gees sold more than 220 million albums world-wide, making them one of the most popular groups of all time.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 07:05 pm
I like some of the Bee Gees music from every phase of their career. I especially like their disco music.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 07:07 pm
The Eurovision song contest was in its 19th year in 1974, when the BBC agreed to host the event, which was held at the dome in Brighton. The winners that year were α—…α—Ία—·α—…, Sweden's first win, and they became the most popular Eurovision performers ever. Like the Bee Gees, whatever we may think of them, their more than 300 million album and singles sales make them among the most popular groups of all time. As with the Bee Gees, Disco was very, very good to them.

Here is their Eurovision performance:

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 07:11 pm
I like some of the Bee Gees, too. I love female singers, and that means ABBA, too.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 07:43 pm
Before he was a Wahlberg, he was Marky Mark of the Funky Bunch.Remember this doop dedoop dedoop dedoop dedoop doop doop doop dedoop doop doop doop doop dedoop doop doop doop.. (CONTINUE TILL YOU PUKE)

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 07:59 pm
@farmerman,
Im a sucker for some of Weird Al's stuff. This is one of my favorites
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 04:25 am
Some people might argue that Marilyn Manson is not "unhip," but they would mostly be pre-teens and teeny boppers from ten years ago or more. I loved this song when it came out in 1965, and thought the "progressive rock" version in 1980 was OK. This is the only Marilyn Manson i can stand to listen to.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 04:51 am
There was once a category of song known as a novelty song. I don't think they make that kind of thing any longer. At any event, here is a good example of the novelty song.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 05:02 am
Although later a "serious" country music singer and song writer, Roger Miller began as a sort of a novelty song singer/writer in 1964--with "Dang Me" and "Chug-a-lug." But he made it big with his 1964 hit, "King of the Road."

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 08:11 am
The thing about the Bee Gees and ABBA is that they had terrific production values behind them. The musicians, backup singers, etc., really stellar productions. Not just some guy with a tin can in a garage.

Here's a poppy confection from Aqua -

Very ironic, kinda European, and it's a bit of a satire of a plastic world (I can imagine it as a soundtrack if The Graduate were ever updated, God forbid).

This one is kind of pseudo-hip-hoppy; it's Real McCoy with MC Saar -

The idea of a shared romantic dream inspired me to start writing again.
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 08:15 am
@jespah,
HOWABOUT ENYA!!. Didnt we all wanna do her before she went nuts?

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 08:20 am
The Cardigans wanted to sell much less sugar-coated pop. Pity - they should've stuck with what the people wanted.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 03:21 pm
@jespah,
The Japanese have a real talent for taking the most vacuous, shallow aspects of American culture, and raising them to the status of high-order cultural values.

They do better at mash-ups of American fringe culture. Shonen Knifu, usually rendered Shonen Knife, is an example, even the group's name is satiric. They do much better when writing their own music, rather than attempting to sound like American groups. They have become a garage-punk cult legend . . . They did a 30th anniversary show in New York in 2011.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 04:43 pm
My son used to listen to Trout Fishing in America

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 05:13 pm
Cool beans, EB . . . geezers in cargo pants shorts. Never heard of them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 09:15 pm
They don't come unhipper than Pat Boone, but he actually had a decent voice.
Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 01:31 am
@edgarblythe,
Yes, and a reasonably successful career.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 09:17 am
@Setanta,
Oh my --- the Bee Gees were always my favorite. I still have about a zillion of their albums. My husband tried to through them away, but I cannot part with them. I even have those very old albums prior to the disco music ones -- I have those as well.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 09:20 am
How about these "bands"I actually paid money to see in concert:

Sha Na Na (well my mom paid for it- it was my first concert)
The Monkees (which I went when I was a full grown adult) - ironic thing both these concerts I went with the same best friend.

I guess we never grow up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 03:52 pm
The Monkees were put together by a television producer hoping to cash in on the British invasion/new pop music phenomenon. The members of the group had the temerity to actually want to be musicians, and produce their own music. That was the death of their television careers.

I think their best song was the Carole King song they recorded in 1967: