Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 06:20 am
I prepare to choose Russian as my second foreign language next semester.I want to know more about impression on Russian in varieties of people's mind.So,answer me!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 2,486 • Replies: 27

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 06:21 am
So, drop dead!
jespah

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 06:29 am
@PattonGeller,
I imagine it's rather difficult to learn.
0 Replies

Jeedd

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 09:48 am
@PattonGeller,
I'm sure you won't regret. Well, yes, it's quite difficult to learn, as difficult as Chineese, Finnish or Hungarian. It's a real challenge. But it also interesting, i'd say - fascinating! All you need is to reject the prejudices against russians and russian culture. Honestly, most of russian has as wide souls as their country. The point is they don't put it in the window. Yes, Russian Language is hard to learn, but it is much more wealthy then English.
saab

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 11:51 am
@Jeedd,
Even tho Finnish and Hungarian are difficult to learn - at least you do not have to learn a new alphabet.
"Russian Language is much more wealthy than English"....
do you mean it has more words than English? Sorry, but that is not corrct. The English language has more words.
Or do you mean it is easier to feelings and describe things? That depends not only on the language, but the person who speaks or writes.
Jeedd

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 12:02 pm
@saab,
Well, you got me wrong. I don't mean the lexicon size, but, practically, unlimited sentence building freedom, sensuality, colourness etc. Generally, as Russian is the synthetic language, unlike English, to my mind, it is much more interesting by default.
0 Replies

PattonGeller

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 07:56 am
@Setanta,
So,mean guy,may God will change you.
0 Replies

PattonGeller

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 08:10 am
@Jeedd,
I am a Chinese university student.The 1950s and 60s in Chinese history is a particular period when a great number of people learned Russian and I am pretty interested in this part of history.That is reason why I want to learn it.I have no any prejudice about Russian and its culture.So,I am very confident about what I am going to do.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 08:20 am
@PattonGeller,
There is important Russian literature that might be interesting to read in the original.

For business/career purposes, Russian isn't one of the languages I'd bother with.
PattonGeller

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 08:24 am
@saab,
I am learning English and like Russian very much.In my mind,both of them are quite beautiful.I don't think that a kind of language is better than the other.The only difference is that someone like it and others don't.
0 Replies

PattonGeller

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 08:30 am
@ehBeth,
I know that Russian are not good at doing business.People in China almost know that,so they choose to learn Japanese or Korean.What I am interested in about Russia is its literture,culture and Russian personality.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 08:38 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
For business/career purposes, Russian isn't one of the languages I'd bother with.
It's similar here in Germany - but certainly due to different reasons: 3 million with Russian as mother tongue plus 3 million, who learnt Russian in Russia plus millions, who learnt Russian as foreign language at school (in the GDR) ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 08:50 am
@PattonGeller,
If you want to learn a language for its beauty and art, I'd suggest Persian.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/other/persian/guide/facts.shtml
PattonGeller

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 05:43 am
@ehBeth,
Not exactly.What Russian attracts me are Russian history,people's personality and the special relationship between Russia and China.As for Persian,I do not find paricular beauty about it.Maybe I am a Chinese that has no ability to enjoy the charm of Iranian language.Anyway,thanks for your advice.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 05:37 am
@PattonGeller,
Hi PattonGeller,
It's great that you have decided to learn Russian language as your second foreign language, so just focus on it and it will be easy to learn for you.
Keep learning Smile
PattonGeller

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 01:58 am
@selectmytutor,
Thanks!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 02:49 am
@PattonGeller,
Russian is the one language with real Indo-European grammar which it makes any sense to want to study. English generally uses word-order and prepositions in lieu of grammar. It's basically a logical system like mathematics which you have to be able to deal with at conversational speed.

Russian is one of the five or six languages which there is any reason to want to learn, which the U.S. State Department views as difficult. Factors involved are the grammar, the unusual rhythm of the language, the system of accenting syllables and two or three other kinds of things.

I'd rate the complexity and difficulty of learning Russian as something like 2 - 1 over German or French but, as you seem to understand, the payoff is immense, both in terms of culture and future business opportunities.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 03:48 am
Russian grammar in pictures...

http://www.alleng.ru/d/rusl/rusl150.htm
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 04:11 am
In Soviet Russia, language learns you!
gungasnake

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 05:03 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
What the hell is that supposed to mean??

For starters, where is this "Soviet Russia"? Can you find it on a current map of any sort??