Can someone please help understand English not my first language. Are gender stereotypes being.....

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 01:23 pm
Are gender stereotypes being perpetuated by parents who feel that they must raise their son as female in order for him to succesfully engage in the domestic duties?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,253 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 01:26 pm
@mizztaurus86,
Mizz I've also long wondered
0 Replies

mizztaurus86

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 01:57 pm
@mizztaurus86,
Don't need answer just want somebody to break the question to my understanding please
0 Replies

victorcarjan

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 02:11 pm
@mizztaurus86,
"Raise their son as female?"?

No. Domestic duties were traditionally performed by woman because they did not have the equal rights to have the choices men did. Thus, it made logical, rational sense in the female's childhood to teach her domestic duties, since her options were so limited.

To say that domestic duties are "female" is total stupidity in out modern day. They are domestic duties performed by people. Parents may raise their son's to learn how to do some of these things, but they are not raising them to be "female". There's nothing feminine about doing domestic duties.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 02:53 pm
Are you asking about fa'affine?

If it is right?

roger

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 03:12 pm
@PUNKEY,
I believe she's asking about the meaning of the sentence, and not looking for a discussion of the subject. I'm having trouble with it, too.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 03:29 pm
@mizztaurus86,
mizztaurus86 wrote:

Are gender stereotypes being perpetuated by parents who feel that they must raise their son as female in order for him to succesfully engage in the domestic duties?

This sentence is not grammatical. It wasn't written by a native speaker.

I think what was intended is, "are gender stereotypes being perpetuated by parents who feel that they must raise their sons as females in order for them to succesfully engage in domestic duties?"

The sentence is asking if raising one's sons as females for the purpose of teaching them to do housework properly perpetuates gender stereotypes.
roger

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 03:52 pm
@InfraBlue,
Thank you.
0 Replies

mizztaurus86

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2014 09:46 pm
@PUNKEY,
Yes about fa'affine? Thank you
0 Replies