Are Quotation Marks Necessary Here?

FortOtt

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 05:21 pm
The school was three-stories high and situated at the top of a ridge called Ridgemont, and those were the reasons why the trustees at the time agreed to name the school, Alta Vista, which is/was Italian for "high view."

Does high view have to be in quotation marks? Does it have to be in italic?

If I am writing in the past tense and Alta Vista was and still is Italian for high view, do I use is or was??

Do I need a comma between school and Alta Vista?

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 573 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 05:39 pm
@FortOtt,
I'm pretty sure you can use either italics or quotation marks. This is not a misuse of quotation marks as emphasis; it's more like a direct quote. Use the present tense: Italian still exists and this is the still the translation (that would be true for Latin, as well, which is a so-called "dead language"). The comma after school is unnecessary, as you correctly surmised.

Frankly, the sentence is a bit of a run-on. It could be rewritten as follows:

Quote:
The school was three-stories high and situated at the top of a ridge called Ridgemont. Those were the reasons why the trustees at the time agreed to name the school Alta Vista, Italian for "high view."
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 05:42 pm
It has to be in quotations, because the implications have been made already. It's not "high view" alone, it's "high view" appealed to.

So if I said, "we had come across a jungle, which people generally call the "rain forest"; it doesn't get any rain, so we walked through without getting wet."

From, "we walked into the rain forest." This sentence has no implications that are controversial and appealed to. Emphasis is a means of drawing attention to an implication.
0 Replies