Why are there no Vodka pre-made mixer drinks in supermarkets?

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 06:10 am
Hi everyone,

I was wondering why there are pre-made vodka mixers in supermarkets? Is there something I am missing or is this a gap in the market? If the flavours were not just Vodka lemonade for example, but flavours that may not quite be easily made at home. Just bottled mixers for in multi-packs just like cans come in.What are peoples thoughts?

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 06:51 am
@jamesmatthews,
What flavours do you think can't be made "easily" at home?

I actually prefer to use mix-ins I've made myself as I object to the chemical fixatives added to commercial products.

I would object to more products with chemicals coming onto our grocery store shelves.

I am not a paleo cook, but I am trying to eat/drink fewer adulterated products.
jamesmatthews

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:01 am
@ehBeth,
Well maybe not easily, but kiwi, lime, strawberry etc etc, but just thought is there an obvious reason why these are not being sold in supermarkets? I would of thought one of the big companies would have jumped on this as I could see the appeal of a ready-made vodka mixer to quite a lot of people, myself included.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:02 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
What flavours do you think can't be made "easily" at home?

Mixed drinks with Glutein free-vegan souffle stuffed with kale and dirt from Gwyneth Paltrow's Scientology Temple altar flavored vodka.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:03 am
@jamesmatthews,
Those are all easy to make - and there are ready-made options in most grocery stores here. Mixers have been available for 50+ years.
jamesmatthews

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:19 am
@ehBeth,
Yes I have just seen you are in the US, maybe I should have put in the UK, but supermarkets do not seem to stock vodka mixers in glass bottles in multi-packs over here, I just wondered why not as I could see them being popular, not the complexity of making them.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 08:46 am
@jamesmatthews,
Looks to me like you haven't done much research.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/grocery-categories/Cocktails_And_Mixers_in_Tesco.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/can-a-readymade-cocktail-ever-eclipse-the-real-deal-6341133.html
jamesmatthews

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2014 10:07 am
@Butrflynet,
If you actually look through the link to Tesco you sent there are only 2 that are vodka based, the 2 from Smirnoff the rest are basically gin. Also the second one is about cocktails, so that is not entirely relevant either to the question. There are still none you can buy from a supermarket in a glass bottle which you can knock the cap off and drink, just the couple in cans
0 Replies