Parents opting out of Common Core

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 09:43 am
http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/12/parents-threatened-opting-common-core/

Quote:
....When 80% of the parents opted-out of high-stakes testing, Julie Zuckerman, principal of the Castle Bridge School in New York, canceled the tests because there wouldn’t be enough test scores available to provide meaningful data.....

Read more at http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/12/parents-threatened-opting-common-core/#IMgVJ47mGc8fqE2J.99
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,616 • Replies: 15
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 09:51 am
@gungasnake,
I agree with parents opting out of high-stakes testing. I would opt out myself.

However, there is a little deception in this

Quote:

Destruction of a child’s love of learning while creating an academically ignorant population is a typical result of federal government overreach. Students and parents are tired of the politicization that results from nationalized education and the rift that has been created between citizens and their local schools. Parents are revolting against the federal government using their tax dollars and local schools to undermine their child’s future.

Opting out of a high-stakes test (something many of us big government liberals strongly support) doesn't mean that we buy into this Tea Party extremist nonsense.

I best most of the parents involved would be a bit annoyed by this particular Tea Party spin on their decision.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:38 am
@gungasnake,
Opting out of the tests is easy. We've done it for years.

Opting out of common core is a whole other story. You can send your kids to private school or you can homeschool them but if you send them to public school you're going to get common core.

The way I see it, common core is driven by business, not the government. There are billions of dollars on the table. Salon had a great article about it the other day: http://www.salon.com/2013/12/16/keep_fox_news_out_of_the_classroom_rupert_murdoch_common_core_and_the_dangerous_rise_of_for_profit_public_education/
gungasnake

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 12:58 pm
@boomerang,
I don't see Gates and/or others like him having a real interest in national testing norms. It WOULD be legitimate for the guy to set up a website saying something like "Kids, these are the skills you will need to apply for a job at MicroSoft", if your school doesn't teach them, figure out some other way to acquire them."
boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 01:23 pm
@gungasnake,
You're kidding, right?

Did you read the article I linked?

Bill Gates has his fingerprints all over common core and the surge in standardized testing.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 01:36 pm
@boomerang,
Maybe Gates is tired of these highly intelligent, dreamy, creative people who can't spell, add, work with others or adhere to deadlines.
boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 01:38 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
intelligent, dreamy, creative people

You mean people like him?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 01:42 pm
@gungasnake,
It is kind of funny to me that a Wacko Tea Party site, such as this, is highlighting a pretty progressive school. This is a bilingual school in Manhattan. I doubt too many of the parents at this school are Tea Party types.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 04:28 pm
@boomerang,
I'm aware of that. Let me rephrase: I don't see what he is actually doing as legitimate. I would view it as legit for industry captains to set out the standards for their own corporations so that school kids could have some idea of what it takes to earn livings in our present technological world.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 04:39 pm
@boomerang,
Gates has frequently expressed displeasure with the US school system and the level of preparation he'd been seeing in job applicants.Coomon Core appears to be his idea of something reasonable to do about it but, to me at least, education is not the guy's strong suit.
boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 05:08 pm
@gungasnake,
He should just set up his own schools where he can train some Microsoft drones.

I have a hard time believing he can't find qualified people to work for him.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 09:11 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
He should just set up his own schools where he can train some Microsoft drones...

Sounds like what he's done. I think he means to call the school the United States Public Education System....
boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 09:56 pm
@gungasnake,
<snork!>

I think you're right!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 06:24 pm
@gungasnake,
http://www.crisismagazine.com/2013/common-core-sexualizes-american-school-children
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 06:54 pm
@boomerang,
You'll like this... A discussion of CC as it may ultimately relate to home-schoolers on GLP forums:

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2439495/pg1

Quote:

I already tell my daughter that everything she learns in school is BS and lies.

I tell her only math tells the truth, and does not lie.

I also tell her I don't give a **** about her grades, and that the grades mean nothing.

I tell her that the only, ONLY thing that matters is that she understand that her ability to be curious about the world is under attack in schools and she must preserve that nugget of curiousity at ALL COSTS including if it means she gets bad grades.

I tell her that anything she learns she will teach herself and the schools at best can only introduce her to concepts but do not really teach her anything.

I tell her to never ever trust what she learns in school that it is mostly lies. If she has a question she can come to me, and we will research it together.

I tell to focus on math only because math doesn't lie. Also music is good and that doesn't lie either.

I've told her this for years.

Surprisingly, she is one of the top students in her school.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 03:13 pm
Another sort of a marvel:

0 Replies