Is this for real?

Mame

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:31 pm
We are emailing you because you are a registered user of MacRumors.com Forums. We recently had a security leak in our forums. More details can be found in this blog post: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/12/macrumors-forums-security-leak/

There is a chance that your user data (email address, username, encrypted password) may have been leaked from the site. We recommend you take the following steps:

1. Change your password on MacRumors: http://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=editpassword
2. If you used the same password on other sites, please change those as well.

Is this email real?
-------------------
If you are concerned about the authenticity of this email, please visit forums.macrumors.com on your desktop computer and, and there is a notice at the top of the screen that provides the same information.

Why didn't I get this email sooner?
-----------------------------------
We are sending out emails as quickly as we can, but sending out a large number of emails at one time results in most of them being blocked as spam.

Wasn't my password encrypted?
----------------------------
While the passwords are "hashed" (which is a one-way conversion from your actual password to a scrambled version), given computing power these days, if your password isn't very complex, they could brute force figure it out by trying lots of combinations.

This is a one time email.

We sincerely apologize for the instrusion,
MacRumors.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,046 • Replies: 5

Jack of Hearts

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:51 pm
@Mame,
It's just a rumor. Carefully look where it came from - a forum.
Mame

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 01:20 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
That's what I figured. Thanks. And I know I never signed up for it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 01:47 pm
@Mame,
Can't say for sure; but one thing to remember is never click on the email link to respond to notices about your account. Always log onto the main page.
Mame

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 04:36 pm
@neologist,
thanks, I didn't click on anything.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 05:26 pm
If I get any suspicious e-mail asking me to click on a link, i don't click it, i delete the whole mail instead
0 Replies