Is bitch a bad word?

izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 12:23 pm
@JTT,
Bitch mother come light my bottom.

Bitching is more commonly used as an adjective, as in the following cut and pasted on line.

"it's bitchin' hot, ain't it?".
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 12:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Bitch mother come light my bottom.

Isn't that a compound noun, Izzy?
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 12:27 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
"it's bitchin' hot, ain't it?".

There we go. But straight 'bitch' as an adjective still eludes me, I'm afraid.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 12:28 pm
@izzythepush,
You got voted down, Izzy, for helping people to know. What is A2K coming 2?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 12:30 pm
@JTT,
That's quite finely balanced. I imagine there are those who would argue the toss about that all night. I'm not one of them.

What about bitch slap?

Bitchy is a more common adjectival form.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 12:31 pm
@JTT,
I get voted down all the time. It's because they don't get me. They're all a bunch of squares and crypto fascists.
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 12:38 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
What about bitch slap?

That may work.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 12:36 am
@izzythepush,
Like any genius who arrives before his time.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 01:17 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I knew you'd understand Finn.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 10:32 am
@JTT,
In the phrase 'bitch session' I believe that bitch is an adjective.
JTT

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 03:49 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
In the phrase 'bitch session' I believe that bitch is an adjective.

I disagree, Ragman. I would say that it is a compound noun.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 09:04 am
@Angel23,
Recall vividly the first 'cuss word' I ever heard on commercial tv. Was an episode of M*A*S*H where some general whose son died called "Hawkeye" a son-of-a-bitch. Since then, commercial tv has allowed more and more profanity. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it though. See it at all hours of the day so it isn't restricted to evening hours. Seems to depend most on the channel.

As with exclamations of "Jesus Christ!" context and usage determine whether something's offensive. If as exclamation, most everyone now replaces, bleeps, or otherwise gets rid of it. THis is actually very recent, maybe only a couple years. Seems to suggest Christians are working very hard behind the scenes to get their way.
Tetty

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 10:33 am
I find using bword as bad as using n-word. Consider its first use: a female dog used for breeding stock.
Women were owned property for use in the same manner. They were currency between men; the father selling his daughter off to another man. Women did not own or control their own bodies. They, at one point, could not own property or have involvement in making governing policies. Even after receiving the vote, they could not get certain jobs and certainly didn't make fair wage. In the rare event of divorce, they did not retain their children commonly until the 60s. Even today, we still retain echos of old views. We've romanticized the rituals and terms but their origin is of record.
I don't support banning free speech, but I do see how the word is used and find it tacky and a hindrance to forward thought and extending basic respect for others in all the ways the n-word implies. I've heard the "taking back its power" argument for both words (and other slurs) and find it a misguided one. I see the casual use of it or the adoption of it as a word of familiarity among friends as an attempt to dilute the sting of it pointless. It will still mean the same ugly things when used in anger.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 01:36 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
"Frankly, Charlotte, I don't give a damn!"
0 Replies