gollum

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 05:10 pm
In different States of the United States there is debate about an acceptable method of performing capital punishment.

If the State is prepared to kill someone, why not use a cyanide pill? Or even a rope hanging?

I think any pain involved would be minor in comparison to the person's loss of life.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,365 • Replies: 28

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 05:23 pm
@gollum,
Y not just shoot him????

Don 't make a big deal about it.

David
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 05:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
A firing squad is kind of labor intense means of killing a man.

Putting down a killer in the same manner as a pet but without the love given to the pets as it is done seem the simplest way of going about it.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:36 pm
@gollum,
making capitol punishment "comfortable" has always escaped me. A cyanide pill is kinda gruesome way to go for the spectators. I used to work for a veterinarian and had to administer "lethane" for euthenasia. Lethane , back then was basically K cyanide liquid. We wore thick metalized gloves and had to take up the Cyanide while wearing a charcoal and O2 mask. The animals was first sedated so that it wouldnt thrash about and cause the tech to stab himself. Then Id shoot the KCN and the animal would still thrash around and foam and go into involuntary convulsions. I used to have dreams about the damn process when I was in college ( It was a job that I had from my Soph through senior years).

CYanide is not pretty so thats pretty much why weve gone to a compound system of sedatives and then K to stop the heart . Its done very quietly for the witnesses

Hanging or firing squad. NO WAY. Why not just throw them to the lions?
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:54 pm
@farmerman,
Framerman the current method of putting down animals seem painless as I been with all my pets at their end however I had always had a worry that it is not as peaceful/painless as it seems for the animals last moments/seconds.

I do not care about human killers but I do care about my pets so is it as peaceful as it seems or not?

I could always insist that they are completely knock out before hand if not.

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 08:31 pm
@BillRM,

Cowdoc is yer expert but we keep some euthenizing chemicals at the farm. For small animals I have pentobarbitol (I think that most vets use this-My teacher in this was my old vet boss. He would use this for the pets that the owner wanted to stay with until it was gone. I wouldadminister a two dose shot. The first was a less than lethal dose of about 1/10 ml/20 lb weight (I may be wrong its been like 40 years) Then the pet would just relax and sleep . The second dose would cause the heart to stop and there wouldnt be the eye movements and shaking that occurs with a single dose.

At the farm we use Tributane for the sheep that we often have to put down because theyd been attacked and chewed up by coyotes. This will drop a moose and its more dangerous if I get pricked.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 08:43 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
A firing squad is kind of labor intense means of killing a man.
I did not suggest use of a whole squad (9 guys, last I heard), Bill.
Just have someone blast him in the head with a .45; no big deal,
then execute the remains, if anyone wants them.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 08:54 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Hanging or firing squad. NO WAY.
Again, I did not suggest using a whole squad; 1 guy can blast him with a .45 ez; no problems.
Let him choose between a revolver or an automatic; his last choice.

farmerman wrote:
Why not just throw them to the lions?
Where the hell do u expect to get lions? I thawt u were in Pa., not Africa. U mean cougars?
What do we feed them until the next condemned guy?? That 's too hi maintenace a solution. Think Ockham's Razorlike.

David
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 08:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
blast him in the head with a .45; no big deal,
then execute the remains
You used to be a lawyer right? just checking.
Didnt the DA tell you that the execution process is for the witnesses, the execution teamm, and the press, not the convenience to the state. Thats why the "lethal injection" process is pretty much a seemingly antiseptic and hands- off ceremony.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 08:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
and we can hold an auction for the right to be the clown that blows his brains out.

gun nuts will outbid each other for the privilege...

what should we do with the money?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 08:58 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
At the farm we use Tributane for the sheep that we often have to put down because theyd been attacked and chewed up by coyotes. This will drop a moose and its more dangerous if I get pricked.
Y not a knife or a gunshot?
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Sometimes you can be a real asshole Dave. In case you are totally under sedation, this is one of those times.
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:12 pm
@farmerman,
Thank famerman for the information and they always used a two shot injections on my animals one I am told is a tranquilizer and the other is to stop the heart.

This last time is seems to had taken a little longer and the vet told me that my cat had stop breathing and then his heart had stop.

From what you told me also it seems wise to be there so they do not take short cuts as well as for emotional reasons.

I had a problem connecting with the vet this last time and his office girl kept telling me that I could just drop my cat off and I kept telling her no way at all would I do that.

In all my family history in fact no pet had ever been put down without at least one member of the family being there with him or her.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:51 pm
@BillRM,
I agree with your need to be there. I think we owe it to the little guys and I too have problems with small animal practice vets(I used to work with em and was quite familiar with the routines of " 3 different colored aspirins and colored antacids ). My boss would string out aspirin therapy and charge more for the yellows.

I learned that several tricks of the trade were marketing based and not science. SO yeh, anytime we need to euthanize based on a vets assitance in determining that they cant do anything further, I usually do the euthanizing at home with me and Mrs F by theor sides. We do that for any sheep we have to euthanize too. (We actually have a great Large animal vet who wants us in attendance for everything and asks for our help , and mentors us in many things medical) We do the euthanizing of the sheep ourselves mostly because we cant leave them lay in the pasture all torn up by a coyoyte or dog pack and wait for a vet to finish his rounds in another part of the county. We buy the chemicals from a catalog or often from our vet (we have a strict custody documentation for these kinds of chemicls). Hen we euthanize one of our sheep, its usually an emergency caused by trauma
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 11:26 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Sometimes you can be a real asshole Dave.
In case you are totally under sedation, this is one of those times.
Its a good thing that u show yourself to be so impolite,
because surely that always makes everything BETTER.

If I were in such a condition, I 'd prefer a quick gunshot to the medulla oblongata
or quick slices to the carotid arteries, but admittedly, I am no expert on the physiology of sheep.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 12:08 am
When you get chewed by coyotes, David, we'll certainly give you your choice before we put you down.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 03:25 am
@MontereyJack,
Thanx; I 'll c if I can find some.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 03:38 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman this is off tropic but that never had slow me down before can you not used dogs raised with sheep to offer some protection from the coyoytes and wild dog packs?
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 06:12 am
@BillRM,
There are several breeds (Pyrenees, Komondoor, Mirrema, Kuvascz) that are excellent protection dogs for sheep. However, the dogs are let to bond with the sheep and then live with them 100%. hey get really dingy and covered with muck and mud and thats just the nature of guard dogs.
SO, we do have a catahoula who is a sight hunter and will attack any coyote and dispatch it but by then damages are usually done so I dont want to risk him getting hurt or badly chewed. Our Border Collie is a working herd dog who would get really mauled by wild dogs.

NO. my farm isnt that vast (its half vast) so I believe in using a nice .228 or so. I will often set poison traps but I have to make sure that other animals dont try to take the bait, which is laced with one of the deadliest poisons known
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:15 am
@gollum,
I don't know why there's any pain associated with executions at all. People are routinely sedated for surgery and even dental procedures. I had wisdom teeth extracted while "asleep" and I didn't feel a thing. A little nighty-night pentothal followed by a lethal injection should be painless, effective, non-messy and inexpensive.