42" Philips 42PFL3704D/F7 LCD TV WON'T COME ON

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 02:06 pm
Brought a 42" Philips Flat panel tv. Made in Dec 09. When I hit the power button, it clicks, the white LED light stays on for 8 seconds, then clicks off. The screen itself never comes on at all (not even the "Philips" startup screen) and there is no sound from the speakers. I removed the back and I don't see any bad capacitors. The fuse appears to be good as well. I do hear a VERY slight buzzing noise coming from the power invertor board but I don't know if that is a problem or not. Can someone help? I have a soldering gun but I don't which part needs to be replaced....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 45,609 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 02:46 pm
@twoblings4me,
Here's a link to the Philips tv website and their support section.

Since you didn't say what model it is, you'll have to select it on the website and start the troubleshooting from there.

Once you've selected the specific model, you'll also be able to download the manual for it, in case you don't have that.

Philips Service and Technical Support
Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 03:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
He put the TV's model is in the title and tags.

From Philips website, here's their pdf manual on that model:

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl3704d_f7/42pfl3704d_f7_dfu_aen.pdf

Personally, if you can read a schematic, I'd download the schematic. Otherwise using the apparent shotgun technique you are suggesting is a REALLY bad idea.

For example, if the fuse isn't measured with a volt-ohmeter, then you're guessing that it is good. That's bad troubleshooting technique. Many a fuse has been known to appear to be good and yet still have a small crack or a bad base.

Also, if it's a bad relay, you would use the meter to determine continuity and/or determine whether or not they click when they should.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 03:29 pm
On a DIY-er troubleshooting website, a DIY-er wrote the following about a problem that MIGHT be similar to use with your specific model:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t6841768-tv_turn

Question: My tv won't turn on.

Answer #1: In this particular model the high voltage for the backlights are produced from the power supply. The power supply is [might be] weak and may need repaired or replaced. This is the first reason you have a set that will not come on.

Answer #2
you may need to replace the inverter

Furthermore on perhaps an unrelated issue:

Question: What can I do if my TV loses sound or picture when switching from one HDMI input to another?
Answer
Update the software on your TV to version 1.6 or greater.
0 Replies

Allen65

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 11:22 pm
@twoblings4me,
We just got that Mod T.V. given to us, but, the screen is busted. If you can't fix yours, contact me, if you would consider selling it for the screen.
0 Replies