Looking for languages differing in labial use.. Help!

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 08:06 am
Hello!

I need help finding a couple of languages I can look into for a small project. I'm interested in whether different languages have any effect on the lips- from an anatomical perspective. So it would be better if I could look at a couple that are quite difference, for example one language that has much more roundedness (or other labialisation) than another..

I'm a science major, and I really have no idea about linguistics so any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,019 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 08:07 am
The French don't use explosive consonants, as the English and Germans do. That is to say, they don't pronounce b, d, p and t with the same force. I have no idea if this produced a physicological effect. However, you might want to look into that.
Ragman

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 09:09 am
@bluesmile,
I won't pay lip service to this issue.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 09:14 am
I just re-read my post. I meant to write physiological.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 10:09 am
@bluesmile,
I'm a deaf lip-reader, and can often tell native French speaker from a still photo, more often in person even if they're not speaking, and even more often (a pretty high percentage) once they start speaking. They definitely do some different things with their mouths than English-speakers. I'm a bit hard-pressed to say what exactly, will think about it more.
bluesmile

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:45 pm
@Setanta,
Hmm, interesting.. Yeah I've had a look into French and there seems to be a difference there, but I just wasn't sure what! I'll keep looking into it, Thanks!
0 Replies

bluesmile

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:48 pm
@sozobe,
That's really interesting! I will definitely have a look into French a little more, Thanks Smile
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 06:37 am
@bluesmile,
Google "Mark Tatham Linguistics" and get his email address. He has written books on the physiology of phonetics.
0 Replies