Ethical exploitation?

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 09:32 am

Is there such a thing as ethical exploitation? And if so, who has the right to exploit what?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,292 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 09:40 am
@dpmartin,
There is certainly a term "ethical pharmaceuticals" in which a drug company exploits the market dominance of its "ethical products" whilst it holds the patent. I take ethical here to mean "no false claims about its medical efficacy and limited to prescription by medical practitioner according to medical ethics".

But the definition is of course problematic...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/features/article1289478.ece

dpmartin

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 07:36 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

There is certainly a term "ethical pharmaceuticals" in which a drug company exploits the market dominance of its "ethical products" whilst it holds the patent. I take ethical here to mean "no false claims about its medical efficacy and limited to prescription by medical practitioner according to medical ethics".

But the definition is of course problematic...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/features/article1289478.ece

fresco

thanks for the reply

I believe it’s a matter of how many are effected by something that is exploitable. If something is your’s, then it would seem that you, the owner thereof, would have the right to exploit, but exclusive right to exploit might be the question in the case you have mentioned. Ethically, what would the exploitation be for? The well being of other’s, or just one’s self? (Or the corporation with the exclusive right to produce and sell) Which, considering the need, could develop into more of a burden to the world, rather then a asset.

fresco

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 08:07 am
@dpmartin,
I suggest we can only talk about "non-ethical" exploitation as being identifiable,
for example, in the case of a drug company which held a patent which priced its product beyond the reach of sufferers. But ultimately we have the issue of "who or what might suffer". For example, is it unethical to cut down forests because it is a wildlife habitat ?......or because it may affect the atmosphere for as yet unborn generations ? etc.
dpmartin

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 09:48 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

I suggest we can only talk about "non-ethical" exploitation as being identifiable,
for example, in the case of a drug company which held a patent which priced its product beyond the reach of sufferers. But ultimately we have the issue of "who or what might suffer". For example, is it unethical to cut down forests because it is a wildlife habitat ?......or because it may affect the atmosphere for as yet unborn generations ? etc.

thanks for the reply

Yes but it is easy street to find what is “wrong” in the eyes of the beholder. Nothing is accomplished in that. The knee jerk reaction in most cases is that when one is suffering, or sees suffering, he seeks something or some one to blame.

Exploitation is required. Or we don’t eat if we do not exploit the know how and the ground, the water, to produce living things to sustain ourselves in human existence. Or stay warm, or stay sheltered, or protect ourselves from those who seek to take what we have.

So exploitation is required. Therefore there must be such a thing as ethical exploitation. Or man is doomed to do “wrong” or incorrectly, no matter what he does.
0 Replies