Are you a former Askville member?

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 08:45 pm
What made you, or why did you leave Askville.

Are you happy here?

Why didn't you tell the rest of us, if you like it?

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 08:49 pm
@ibstubro,
Where the bloody heck is Askville?!
roger

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
Bloody heck! Yeah, I like that.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:08 pm
@ibstubro,
The long termers here are from Abuzz, the community bb that the New York Times used to run forever ago.
ibstubro

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
Askville is the (former) Amazon chat site. They decimated the site and offended the best of the members. I think they might find a home here, but this might be too 'high-brow' for a lot of them.

The Askvillers that I know mainly wanted to entertain themselves through chat.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 05:17 am
@ibstubro,
ibstubro wrote:

, but this might be too 'high-brow' for a lot of them.

That gave me a chuckle Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 05:22 am
@ibstubro,
High Brow?

Hahahahahah

Erm, possibly I should gently offer the possiblity that you have somewhat overestimated the general tone of the site.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 06:55 am
@hingehead,
abuzz was run by abuzz forever ago. Then it was the boston globe and Then the new york times.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 07:32 am
@ibstubro,
Why did you decide to leave Askville?
ibstubro

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 07:46 am
@Intrepid,
Mostly because they changed it so that the users cannot respond to other users' posts. Only the asker and individual answerer can add comments on any answer.

That seems confusing, so I'll clarify by saying that on Askville, no one but me, the asker of the question, would be able to respond to your post. It killed the 'community' feeling for me. I enjoy the banter and the anticipation of certain other members participating on certain questions. I had grown to know the feminists, the grouchy old men, the liberals and conservatives, the foodies, etc. Grown to appreciate other members despite fundamental differences in certain areas.

They took away the give and take.
squinney

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 07:51 am
@ibstubro,
ibstubro wrote:

I enjoy the banter and the anticipation of certain other members participating on certain questions. I had grown to know the feminists, the grouchy old men, the liberals and conservatives, the foodies, etc. Grown to appreciate other members despite fundamental differences in certain areas.

We've got all that here, plus some grouchy old women. Very Happy

Hope you look around and decide to stay.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 07:51 am
@ibstubro,
Thanks. I too had never heard of Askville until you arrived and I did a bit of research.

You should feel right at home then.

Welcome.
ibstubro

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 08:17 am
@squinney,
Thanks, squinney, so far, so good.

a2k seems to be what Askville was striving for when they made the last round of changes. Less complicated than their old system, but just as user friendly.
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 08:18 am
@Intrepid,
Thanks, Intrepid.

Perhaps you can be my new Poppet...a sensible woman on Askville that I shared a lot with. :-)
Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 09:17 am
@ibstubro,
ibstubro wrote:

Thanks, Intrepid.

Perhaps you can be my new Poppet...a sensible woman on Askville that I shared a lot with. :-)

Keep that up and I could have a gender identity crisis.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 09:26 am
@squinney,
Agreeing with Squinney (says the grouchy older woman), hope you decide to stay too.
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 10:39 am
@Intrepid,
Ah. Um. Oh.
I mistook your avatar. Sorry. First of many promised mistakes!
0 Replies

naconasong

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:00 am
Yes, I am. I am new here. I joined today. Thanks to your invite and this looks a lot like our old Askville neighborhood. This is my first answer though and I did ask a question.
I left Askville before the change, I was ill, came back the day of the change and it was down and after it was over was shocked to say the least. Not at all happy with them. The meanies still control the place just like the wicked witch of the West maybe they will melt and Jay seems to have disappeared.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 12:07 pm
@ibstubro,
I joined Askville a couple of years ago. Tried it for a while. The community was pleasant enough, but I've always preferred A2k to the alternatives I've found out there.
0 Replies

childof1truegod

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 02:41 pm
@ibstubro,
Hello ibstubro!! Thanks for the link....I love the AV people but the new format is awful....I'll try this for a bit. :~P