What are you listening to right now?

glitterbag

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 07:49 pm
@Ragman,
Apropos of nothing in particular, all this talk of early rock and roll and kermit, reminded me of a gift my dad gave me on my 14th Birthday. I received a Westinghouse Record Player, two tone, leathery looking white top, pinkish coral on the base. It had a snap clasp and handle so you could tool around with it. Natch, it could play 33 & third, 45's and 78's. It had an arm that allowed you to load 5 LP's, 6 78's or a spindle that fit over the base that allowed you to load your fav 45's. It was a wonderful Hi Fi delite. The one thing that always annoyed me were the control knobs. The knob or dial for volume was labeled 'Loudness". Why would an engineer or designer designate a loudness dial???? It didn't have a quiet knob. It was mysteries such as that that tormented my 14 year old self.

Just wanted to share.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 05:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Those folks were unaware of the word 'volume.' Wink
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2015 01:51 am
@glitterbag,
Nice
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2015 08:47 am
@glitterbag,
I remember the first time I tried out our new cutting edge "Stereogram" when our parents were out.
My two brothers and I (oldest one about ten) went and got an E.P (two/three tracks on each side, the same size as a single record) which had been sent to my Mum from our relatives in New Zealand.
Track one, side B was a full throated Maori Haka in glorious stereo.

We three practised all the singing and funny dancing until we got bored, then opened the windows and let it rip at full volume.

Seeing as we lived in a very quiet, very compact cul de sac of twenty bunched up houses, it took all of fifteen seconds for various adults to rush out into the road, wondering what the hell was going on.

We were banned from playing anything on the cutting edge Stereogram for a good long while.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2015 03:17 pm
@Lordyaswas,
At least you had the gumption to do it. Bravo!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 02:34 pm

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 07:39 pm

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 09:40 pm

this was a great show

the skydiggers at the gould - it was fabulous
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 08:13 am
Has anyone here watched Treme? Extraordinary work with New Orleans music, in all its variety in type and quality, dead center to the whole amazing story.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 10:43 pm
He died yesterday Sad

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:04 pm
Remarkable recording of two of my favorites
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 09:23 pm
I'm in the middle of a Tami Neilson binge

Quote:
"Lonely" is the first single from the upcoming album release, "Don't Be Afraid". (Release date: 25 September 2015)
This song was begun in 1972 by a young Ron Neilson, who recorded a demo outside a hotel room while on tour across Canada. Decades later, it was completed by his daughter Tami and son Jay when they discovered the demo a week after he passed away in Feb 2015. While grief and loss are entwined in a melancholy dance throughout the lyrics, the music and melody are brought back to life to celebrate the man who laid the foundations of Tami’s musical career. Released on Ron’s birthday, Tami remembers her father in this fitting tribute.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 09:30 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/schedule-for-thursday-february-4-2016-1.3433293/canadian-expat-tami-neilson-brings-old-country-from-new-zealand-1.3433305

link to podcast with interview and live in-studio performance

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 01:27 pm
The music brought to Louisiana from Nova Scotia still thrills.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 07:49 pm
I'm listening to Alexi Kaye's 'Still as a mountain' album - I bought the CD from an African taxi driver in Paris - he was a huge fan and friend of hers (she was based in Paris at the time) and his eyes lit up when he discovered we were Australian. He promised she'd get the money. I believed him (he had four copies of the CD in his glove box and no other CDs)

Can't find the studio version online but this live version of the first track gives you an idea....

vonny

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 02:31 pm
@hingehead,
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 02:40 pm
@vonny,
Tom Petty
panzade

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 02:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Great band
Took my ol' G harp out and started learning Mary Jane's Last Dance.
vonny

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 02:52 pm
@panzade,
panzade

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 07:34 pm
@vonny,
OOPS! Sam's gonna have to pay Tom Petty some royalties
Tom won't back down Very Happy