Horse Fly Problem

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 12:04 pm
@Arella Mae,
horse flies arent attracted to "poop". They arent houseflies or blue bottle flies. They feed on BLOOD and go through their metamorphism over a two year (or so) period living in wetlands and shallow water.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 04:54 am

Have u defeated the fly problem, Arella ?
How are JJ and his relatives ?

David
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 06:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It's going to take a few weeks to see if this Solitude stuff works. My vet said he uses it and it works so I'm counting on it. I have been spraying Lulu, Joy, and JJ and Mac down as much as I can. Mac is fine with it but the others aren't so still.

JJ is doing awesome. As a matter of fact, he's famous! LOL My trainer is having a calendar, t-shirts- and coffee mugs for his business. JJ will be in the calendar! I don't know what month yet. I am sooooooooooo proud of him!

It's been rainy here so haven't gotten any pics. Tried to get some video last night though. I walked outside and JJ had a bucket in his mouth swinging it back and forth. Of course, I went back in to get the camera and he stopped.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 04:09 am
@Arella Mae,
Did he want u to put something in his bucket?
Maybe he was hinting?

David
sullyfish6

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 12:43 pm
Here's an email I got just today. Don't know if it works on horse flies.

Zip lock bag filled with water and about 6 - 8 pennies.
Hang in area you don't want flies and wasps to gather.

Many theories - best ones is that the flies see the reflection of the water and/or wasps they think it's another insect nest.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 07:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Nah, he had just finished eating and was playing. He likes to play a lot. It was really hot here today so he didn't do much playing.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 07:13 pm
@sullyfish6,
I have been reading about all kinds of things to control the fly problem. I'm gonna try some of them!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 07:39 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Nah, he had just finished eating and was playing.
He likes to play a lot. It was really hot here today so he didn't do much playing.

I hope he was out of the sun.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 09:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
He has plenty of shade out there. My husband said he was out there having a blast earlier tonight. I said, "Why didn't you tell me so I could video him?" Men, sometimes so clueless. Kidding!
0 Replies

animalhealth

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 06:11 am
@Arella Mae,
Large swift fly the female of which sucks blood of various animals. A dispenser that turns a liquid (such as perfume) into a fine mist. the psychological state of being irritated or annoyed.
0 Replies

animalhealth

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:25 am
@farmerman,
Cutting horse is a type of fly. Katti who always keeps horses. It is larger in size than flies. USA and flies such characters occur in New York.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:30 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
I have been reading about all kinds of things to control the fly problem. I'm gonna try some of them!
Maybe a cloth, like a towel for a shield ?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 09:48 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
I have to get Joy on a lead rope and I can spray her but she saw the rope. That horse is too smart for her own good.

Stick the rope in your jeans/pants behind your back. Walk up to the horse you want, gentle like, like the last thing on your mind is catching him/her. Put your arms around her/his neck, you've got 'em. Pull out the rope and ... .

With the horses that are skeert of the spray, I just put it on my palms and rub it on the areas that their tails don't service. You still need them on a lead of some kind so they don't wander -- that **** ain't nice for man nor beast to taste or smell.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 09:53 pm
Arella Mae, do your horses like watermelon, cantaloupe, broccoli, etc?

Even my dogs like watermelon. They, horses and dogs, like it best when I leave a lot of red on the rind, obviously, who wouldn't?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 10:26 pm
@Arella Mae,
As Farmer said, this stuff won't do anything about horseflies, the biting kind.

Quote:
Solitude IGR is a feed-through fly preventive which, when mixed ½ oz into a horse's ration daily according to the directions, will prevent house and stable fly development.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 01:38 am

How is our favorite baby mule, Arella ?

David
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 02:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
He has been practicing his bray but I am afraid he doesn't sound any differently than he did. It's quite a frightening sound. I will see if I can get some video of him sometime this week so you can see how big he has gotten. He's a really special mule that's for sure!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 03:00 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
He has been practicing his bray but I am afraid he doesn't sound any differently than he did. It's quite a frightening sound. I will see if I can get some video of him sometime this week so you can see how big he has gotten. He's a really special mule that's for sure!
YES! SO STIPULATED!

David
0 Replies

nkunafina

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 01:32 pm
@Arella Mae,
We do sell a biological fly control program.
My contact email: [email protected]
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 01:35 pm
@nkunafina,
Not to be rude, but I don't know you and I don't usually email people I know absolutely nothing about. Can you tell me about it here?
0 Replies