Do you have a favorite ethicist?

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:29 pm
Every week I listen to one of my favorite podcasts, Ethicist, a podcast of the NY Times columnist, Randy Cohen.
http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/ethicist/id202983587
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/01/01/magazine/01job.1841.jpg

He writes an advice column for the New York Times that revolves around the science of ethicism:
Quote:
ethicism
noun

a doctrine that ethics and ethical ideas are valid and important; "his ethicism often led him to moralize"
WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

Do you learn and act accordingly to lessons of morality or listen just for the sake of the story?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,337 • Replies: 22
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Another great interview involving the dear Randy Cohen.

Quote:
Tuesday, August 10, 2010 at 11:00 AM EDT
The Ethicist: NYTimes’ Randy Cohen

In a complicated world, he’s there to untangle your messy questions about how to live a virtuous life everyday.

From… “Can I bring my own snacks to the movies when the theater says no outside food allowed?”… and, “Do I have to contribute to my arch-rival’s baby shower?”…to mega-questions like “Am I obligated to tell my best friend her husband is cheating on her?”

Today, “The Ethicist” is in – New York Times Magazine columnist, Randy Cohen.

-Betsy Stark

http://www.onpointradio.org/2010/08/the-ethicist-nytimes-randy-cohen
dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Peter Singer.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:13 pm
@dlowan,
How do you consume his ethical advice? Books? Column? Blog? Talking head in a documentary film/series?
djjd62

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:15 pm
my favourite ethnicist, either david duke or al sharpton

wait, what was the question Confused
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:51 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

my favourite ethnicist, either david duke or al sharpton

<<<COUGH>>> <<cough>><<cough>> <<<akk>>>

<<<COUGH>>> <<cough>><<<akk>>><<<akk>>>

<<cough>>
Sorry, I just had a minor allergic reaction to those names. <<<spitooey>>>
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
Randy is tres cool
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 05:50 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

How do you consume his ethical advice? Books? Column? Blog? Talking head in a documentary film/series?

I have to confess that, so far, I have consumed him mainly by listening to him in earnest debate upon quality radio, by articles he has written in the more popular press, and by commentary ABOUT him.

Embarrassed

He's more a challenger than an advisor...though he certainly prefers vegetarianism and very decent treatment of aminals. He does not privilege humans above all other life forms.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:56 am
@tsarstepan,
Singer is my favorite ethicist, too. If I could only read one book by him, it would be Practical Ethics. In the first chapter of Practical Ethics, he explains his (Utilitarian) philosophy. Then, throughout the rest of the book, he applies it to controversial topics such as the ethics of killing and inflicting pain on animals, euthanasia, and helping the poor. Refreshingly, and I think correctly, he states right out that sex does not pose a single unique moral problem, and that he won't say another word about it. It's a good book, which I warmly recommend.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 12:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
All should be treated fair, ALL!
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 12:26 pm
@HexHammer,
Now now. Who defines what the border of fair and not fair? That's why we have ethicists like Mr. Cohen. Very Happy
HexHammer

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 12:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Now now. Who defines what the border of fair and not fair? That's why we have ethicists like Mr. Cohen. Very Happy
This has been answerd long ago, by observing law, moral and ethics, it takes a strong will and integrety to do so.

In WWII even though the allied saw themselves as O-so-goody-2-shoes, it was the german army that in general was more human and civil on the battlefield, specially Genral Rommel who was known as "The Last Knight" because of his humanistic approach to things, very famously for reprimanding the POW guards for not observing the POW's rights.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 01:02 pm
@HexHammer,
But I don't think General Rommel is around to write columns or broadcast podcasts these days or would have been enjoyable to listen and/or read as Mr. Cohen.

So it's kind of moot.
HexHammer

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 01:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

But I don't think General Rommel is around to write columns or broadcast podcasts these days or would have been enjoyable to listen and/or read as Mr. Cohen.

So it's kind of moot.
So you will only heed live persons? ..strange kind of view.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 01:05 pm
@HexHammer,
<<<sigh>>>
Don't read everything too literally. I don't base my life decisions on this guy's weekly column. It's just something to read every week and learn from. He's not my pope or mentor.
HexHammer

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 01:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

<<<sigh>>>
Don't read everything too literally. I don't base my life decisions on this guy's weekly column. It's just something to read every week and learn from. He's not my pope or mentor.
I see it as most humans need motivation, not teaching. We know not to act like stupid pricks, yet we now and then acts like stupid pricks, because we lose motivation to uphold integrity.
Diane

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 03:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Like you, I admire and respect Andy Cohen. His talks and articles are thoughtful and challenging; they make me consider all sorts of topics, analyze and form ideas. All of which keep me thinking, using my brain, which has become quite rusty with age. He isn't my god or mentor either, he just opens the minds of those who listen.

My other two favs are djjd and pogo.
Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Singer has a column at Project Syndicate. It gives a good impression of how he thinks, and is easier than a book to consume in small pieces.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 04:32 am
@Thomas,
Thanks Thomas for the site drop. I'll visit early and often.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 04:36 am
@HexHammer,
hey, lets not be to hasty, the world needs stupid pricks too you know
0 Replies