Recipe for chimichurri??? (Argentina Sauce)

catgirl

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 12:58 am
Does anyone know a good chimichurri recipe? I stayed in Buenos Aires for three months and I was buying a dry mix from the supermarket, to which I just added oil and vinegar (maybe water). I would love a recipe to recreate this DRY mix, I can only find instructions for the liquid sauce online. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,278 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 05:04 am
@catgirl,
Hi catgirl.

Have you tried "chimichurri recipe" in Google?

Lovatts fan. Smile
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 06:13 am
@Dutchy,
Here ya go, its from epicurious web site. I liked it on sheep meat and guinea pig. Course I was in the alto planno workin and woulda killed for a Big Mac.

3 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
3 tablespoons dried basil leaves
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried savory leaves
1 tablespoon smoked paprika*
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 to 2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper

You gotta be careful with the dried basil. If its not dried carefully it winds up tasting like spittin tobacco.(at least to me), and I lik the summer savory best, and the smoked paprika that Pennzys sells is really good.
dadpad

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 06:17 am
1 tablespoon dried savory leaves. what are these?
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 06:40 am
@dadpad,
savory is an herb that has two varietals here in the US. Theres a winter savory which tastes like oregano to me, and a summer savory which has a really nice sweetish sort of rosemarish flavor (or is it the other way around?)
dadpad

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 06:51 am
@farmerman,
Summer Savory (Satureja hortensis). I have heard of this one.
0 Replies

catgirl

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 03:14 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks Mate. It certainly is a wonderful combo of herbs and spices. I didn't get the big mac craving but had to have a friend post me some penut butter and vegemite for my breakfasts, just couldn't stomache that dolce de leche!
0 Replies

catgirl

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 03:21 pm
@Dutchy,
Hi Dutchy! All the recipes I found were for the sauce (not the herb mix) but have got the goods now. Had terrible Lovatts withdrawals for my year OS. Glad to be back now and entering the comps again. Thanks for all your help with those pesky cryptics over the past few years.
:-)
0 Replies