Know anything about skunks?

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:06 am
Yesterday early evening, I noticed a skunk in our yard. Not really unusual for the area, but whenever I've seen them before, they have always looked kinda chubby and kinda lumber along slowly. This one was running around. He looked a bit smaller too.

And then he chased one of our wild bunnies. Is it normal for them to chase other animals? I always thought they just would raise their tail to get rid of something. He then strutted over to where the bunny was - toward the building and out of my sight of vision.

I suspect there was some sort of food he was interested in - which brings me to the next question..what do they eat? I know there is bird seed around, but wouldn't think they would eat that. Do bunnies and skunks eat the same thing?

Do you think we have a new neighbor added to our collection of bunnies and ground hogs?

roger

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:10 am
@Linkat,
Not sure why I think so, but I have the feeling their diet is about the same as the average bear. Anything.

Anyone know how far they can spray, by the way. We have a park that was overrun with them last year, so, I'm wondering how much respect they need.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:11 am
@Linkat,
perhaps it was a youngun, not yet schooled in the ways of the skunky world...
mismi

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:12 am
@Linkat,
You don't think it was rabid do you? He chased a bunny? I hope someone can give you some information on them...seems strange to me...not that I would know though...I would steer clear of Flower though Wink
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:13 am
@Region Philbis,
It could be - he seemed smaller than skunks I've seen in the past. Ran right by our open window. I told the kids to keep their voices down - I was worried we would scare him and he'd spray especially since we have a showing tomorrow - don't think a perspective homeowner would like skunk smell.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:15 am
@mismi,
It did cross my mind he could be rabid. But I thought maybe our neighbor might have thrown out some food for the bunnies again (it was near her window so maybe she wanted a better view of the bunnies). And the skunk spied it and chased him out of the way.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:17 am
@Linkat,
what time of day was it?
i've only seen them early morning and after sundown...
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:17 am
@mismi,
Skunks are carnivores and eat primarily insects--their diet is not similar to that of a wild rabbit. Also a skunk is by nature a non-aggressive peace loving beast that uses his primary means of defense--spray--only if he feels actively threatened. Unfortunately, a skinny skunk demonstrating uncharacteristic behavior for a skunk such as aggressively charging a rabbit should be thought of as very possibly rabid.

I think you should keep pets well away from the area, warn all humans, especially children, and call animal control and ask them to deal with the situation.
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:38 am
@Region Philbis,
It was at dusk
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:40 am
@Foxfyre,
Maybe that was why later on the I saw a police car driving around slowly. It looked like he was looking for something. I would have thought though he would ask me if I saw something.

Our cats are strictly indoors and our children would not go near a skunk out of fear of spraying. Haven't seen him since last night.
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:48 am
@Foxfyre,
I did find this...about keeping skunks away -
17. Restrict use of birdseed. Skunks are attracted to it and to the birds and rodents that use the feeder.

Maybe this could have been the attraction.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:51 am
@Linkat,
That's good. But to be on the safe side, I would still call animal control or whomever in your area and report it. If this indeed was a rabid skunk you won't be out of the woods for 30 days or so in case he got to some of those rabbits or other neighborhood pets, etc. Hopefully all your neighbors have their critters' shots up to date.

Fortunately, the poor creatures don't live long once the disease is full blown and obvious. The worst danger is in other creatures it might have infected.

(P.S. I should have said skunks are omnivores instead of carnivores, but they do need the animal protein which is why insects make up a large part of their diet. Bird seed however is on the no no list for skunks - very bad for them.)
cjhsa

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:54 am
@Linkat,
Shoot it in the head.
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:04 pm
@Foxfyre,
I just found this on the Commonwealth of Mass Division of Fisheries and wildlife which does state they eat birdseed...

"Food: Striped skunks are omnivores and primarily eat insects, invertebrates and fruit. Striped skunks will also eat human garbage, compost, and birdseed from feeders. Thus, they are can also be found around homes in urban and suburban areas. Their primary method of foraging involves digging, often
appears as a single, small hole in a lawn, leaf litter, or sand."

And in the section of keeping skunks wild...

"6. Keep bird feeder areas clean! Use feeders designed to keep seed off the ground as the seeds can attracts skunks. Remove feeders if skunks are seen regularly around your yard."
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:04 pm
@cjhsa,
Good way to get sprayed - actually it said to shoot in the back that may help prevent it from spraying and then in the head.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:07 pm
I also found this...

"In the Fall, the young leave their mothers and strike out to find a territory of their own" It is beginning to feel like fall in the area - wonder if this is a young skunk finding its new territory. From what I read, as long as it is not rabid, they don't seem to be a bad thing - eating insects and rodents.

And it said this...."They will also dig under structures to live, or move into an existing woodchuck hole" did you think he could have booted our groundhog friends?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:08 pm
@Linkat,
Skunks will eat birdseed, yes. It is not good for them however, and is on the list of things to never feed a pet skunk.
George

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:10 pm
I dunno about bunnies, but this one chases cats...

http://www.gifmania.co.uk/Looney-Tunes/Pepe-le-pew/_XXLmisc1.gif
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:21 pm
@Foxfyre,
Well, I'm not keeping him for a pet!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:52 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
Skunks are carnivores and eat primarily insects

Actually skunks are omnivores and can eat just about anything. But I agree with you, having a skunk acting oddly is worth some concern since they can carry rabies.