Why did they ruin this site?

Below viewing threshold (view)
yitwail

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:01 pm
@Chumly,
here's another annoyance; when i go thru a rigmarole to quote something i'm replying to, i have to remember to put my response before the quote, cuz otherwise they won't see my response without scrolling.

Chumly, if you find out, let me know. i'm hoping some of your issues will be addressed eventually. Wink
i'm not quitting as some are, but my participation might be curtailed because it takes so much longer to read things & navigate. i'm also miffed that the thumbs down feature is being used on principle to downrate trivia games, since i play those a lot. yes, i know i can thumbs up to negate the thumbs down, and all you get is a vicious circle.
Chumly wrote:
Is there some way to:
- get more text on the screen
- get rid of all the garbage at the top
- get rid of all the garbage at the bottom
- get rid of all the empty space on the side, within the post itself, etc
- reduce the size of the green over-sized radio buttons
- reduce the size of the blue over-sized banner above each post

0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:24 pm
@Chumly,
oh, there's 2 new workarounds i discovered. you can slightly reduce the space occupied by a post by editing your preferences to specify No for displaying signatures--slight compaction because the signatures are so tiny anyway.

also, when you reply to a post, i notice there's a link to that post, eg.
Re: Chumly (post 3361625) where the 3361625 is a link, so in theory, one could just skip quoting posts, and leave it to reader to click that link, then use the back button to get back to the reply, but that's askin a lot of the reader, seems to me.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 09:16 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Okay, Craven. I know you're a good guy, albeit a liberal.
Chumly

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:38 pm
@yitwail,
I'm with you!

All else aside, the new site is a big step backwards in terms of easy access to the maximum amount of text on a per screen basis. Given that this is the bread and butter of any good Internet forum, the new A2k fails miserably.

See my post here for an amplification on this and examples of forums that are properly laid out and efficient!

http://able2know.org/topic/120917-13#post-3365820
old europe

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:49 pm
@Chumly,
"maximum amount of text on a per screen basis" is what makes a forum good?

Confused
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:04 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon
I have never agreedwith your politics, but you may be assured I will not vote you down for that reason. I think a lot of us will be tolerant that way.
hamburgboy

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 05:36 pm
@Chumly,
chumley wrote :
"All else aside, the new site is a big step backwards in terms of easy access to the maximum amount of text on a per screen basis. Given that this is the bread and butter of any good Internet forum, the new A2k fails miserably."

that's my feeling too . there is simply too much space taken up by all the headings , sidebars and what nots .
i also don't understand the need for the OVERLY large headings , while the sidebar tags are really quite small and scrambled - and in VERY faint blue too .

example :
when i go to this thread : " why ruin this site " - why is it shown in HUGE letters ? what is the need for it ? surely , just showing it in regular type - perhaps in darker colour - should be sufficient .

MORE MEAT - fewer doodads , that's what i would prefer - but never mind .
there are plenty of other interesting sites - including the newspapers of the world , magazines , google etc. that do not throw up as many barricades as the NEW AND IMPROVED TIDE - WHITER THAN WHITE - i'll continue using laundry soap - GRIN .
hbg
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 05:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Just saw. Thanks. Same here.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:43 pm
@yitwail,
yitwail wrote :

Quote:
oh, there's 2 new workarounds i discovered. you can slightly reduce the space occupied by a post by editing your preferences to specify No for displaying signatures--slight compaction because the signatures are so tiny anyway.

also, when you reply to a post, i notice there's a link to that post, eg.
Re: Chumly (post 3361625) where the 3361625 is a link, so in theory, one could just skip quoting posts, and leave it to reader to click that link, then use the back button to get back to the reply, but that's askin a lot of the reader, seems to me.

probably not a bad idea . it would also - as per chumley's post - give more space to the actual messages - cut down on some of the surrounding clutter .

for many entries , the surrounding clutter takes up more space than the actual message .
looking at a typical page display , half the space on the screen - often much more - is taken up by "non message" stuff .
hbg
jespah

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 04:03 am
@hamburgboy,
Instead of quoting, how about just clicking "reply" under the post you're replying to? The software then automatically puts in a link to the post you're replying to. E. g. the solution that's been come up with is already on the site.
hamburgboy

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 11:58 am
@jespah,
A BIG THANK YOU !
---------------------------

just signed on for the day .
the new tags on left side are MUCH easier to read - that's visible progress imo .
hbg (not known for spreading praise generously )
Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 12:11 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Every one in this forum has a strong view and highly opiniated.
But Able to know is the forum to enlighten the participants.
I am here for pretty long to get corrected with my one-sided critical views.
I am immensely pleased about the dress of A2k but not the body behind.
Sir I beg you to enthuse new members to air their views.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 06:07 pm
@hamburgboy,
Oh I don't do the programming. But I'll pass your thanks along to Nick 'n Craven. Smile

Glad you're liking things better. We are trying very hard to be responsive.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 03:54 pm
sigh

I'll be honest, I don't think I'm going to come here much, if at all in the future.

This is besides the fact I never could get on as my orignial name after the change, and had to change my name slightly.

It's just not as interesting anymore. I kinda agree with brandon about feeling that we're somewhat discouraged from voicing unpopular views. Sometimes having or watching a good row was the best part of this whole site. Sitting back and watching the fireworks, making some too.

Not that I'm all about fighting. This whole Ignore Button thing to me is a cop out big time.

You don't like someone? Click ignore and they go away. It would never occur to me to completely ignore someone, as everyone, and I mean Everyone, sometimes has a good point. It's not like Big Brother is Watching, but more like Big Brother is going to make it possible for others to basically make you dead as far as they are concerned.

I mean, for all I know, half of A2k could have me on ignore now, since I'm such a cantankerous so and so. Don't care so much about any particular individual ignoring me, but hell, I think it's all Stepford Wives that anyone would want to sanitize their world from all the people that annoy them, and only consent to having their select view, "the chosen" be viewed by them.

Change? I embrace change. I deal with change every day. I've learned a lot from A2K, tons of ****. I've made good cyber friends, made a few enemies....just like life in general.

First thing I remember liking about A2k was that one could go on autopilot and get around really well.

Now, I can't even see how to quote someone, post an image, let alone figure out what all this tag is, and voting up or down, which frankly feels, like others have said, a high school popularity contest.

I've no doubt at all that if I sat down for a few hours and read some prior threads about how this thing goes, I'd pick it up.

Frankly though, it just feels more complicated than it needs to be, and not worth it. I come here to horse around, read something interesting about some subject, and sometimes to get on someone's nerves. If I learned all the new gizmos and bells, I have a strong feeling I'd think "this is too much stuff to do to converse with someone." It's enough that, just like in real life we work at understanding others, but to put up barriers (that's what it feels like) to having a simple conversation back and forth kinda sucks.

God. Each time I sign in now, before I look for new posts, I have to look at how BBB is not going to come here anymore, and how her dog got eaten or something.

The reason it's there first as far as I can figure out is that more people voted thumbs up on that than anything else. Well, thanks for telling me what you think I should find interesting, rather than what I think is. The whole thing wouldn't even be so bad if one could at least still access "my posts"....that's where I know there was at least enough interest for me to have said something.

Thing is, nothing I've said is going to make any difference. It's been decided this is a better system.

The Emperors naked.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 04:33 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
God. Each time I sign in now, before I look for new posts, I have to look at how BBB is not going to come here anymore, and how her dog got eaten or something.

Just a thought, but you could click the thumb down and never be bothered with those threads again.
JPB

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 04:36 pm
@DrewDad,
I wondered if she meant before she logged in... Chai, have you set your preferences to be new posts?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 06:08 pm
@chai2,
You can get to your posts as you always could...now, you simply do it via your profile.

You can also still access the posts of others who you like to meet up with on threads...just as you always could...via their profile.

If you set your preferences to all time and new posts on the home page, you will come in to what new stuff has been posted....or you can change to new topics to see that.

0 Replies