UNLIMITED INTERNET ACCESS WON'T BE UNLIMITED ANYMORE?

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 06:19 pm
I do a lot of my business work on line and frequently have five to eight windows open at a time. Among all that mess on my desktop, I have recently observed a small window labeled 'slow down' that appears briefly on the desk top and then goes away. I link to the internet via cable. Is the following what I am experiencing? And does this probably explain why it sometimes takes forever for a website to load?

NYTimes.com
Charging by the Byte to Curb Internet TrafficLINK
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,159 • Replies: 12
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 06:25 pm
how big brother-ish

caps on what I can use?
Sorry.. dont agree with that.

I can see that idea when it comes to electricity use..
But internet does not even fall into the same ballpark

I can see paying for the bandwidth you use. Companies have to on their websites why shouldn't we?

But putting 'caps' on what people can use?

america needs to get out of my home and stop telling me what i can and can not do . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 06:26 pm
There's been a fair bit of coverage on the media here of the "slow down" efforts some providers are already making.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 06:37 pm
oy, next thing you know certain liberal types will be demanding safe drinking water and breathable air. Nothing in the constitution requires unlimited internet access or drinkable water; get over it. I really hate activists who just want to change the rules to suit their private needs.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:36 pm
I pay a substantial sum to the cable company for high speed internet with unlimited use. I think if they are going to change the deal on their end, I should see an automatic large reduction in my monthly fee or they should renegotiate the deal with me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:40 pm
From what I've been reading and hearing, that renegotiation will be talking place, in the form of notices telling users what their increased costs could/will be.

It seems to be moving to the form used by a number of European providers for some time.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:47 pm
Well that's fine, but there are a whole lot of providers out there who charge a whole lot less for internet access than Comcast. If they want to slow down to what those other providers offer, I don't intend to pay the big price for high speed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:53 pm
ehBeth wrote:
From what I've been reading and hearing, that renegotiation will be talking place, in the form of notices telling users what their increased costs could/will be.

It seems to be moving to the form used by a number of European providers for some time.

Most plans here have a cap on how much you can download.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 09:45 pm
Most of my downloads are occasional photos from friends and family, sometimes a simple video slide show with music, but mostly Excel and Word documents associated with my work. I don't watch TV or movies on my computer and the only online games I play are those featured by AOL. But when I do need to access a website--several of those are associate with work too--I don't want to have to wait 30 seconds or more for it to load. It has only been recently that this slow down has been occurring along with that little 'slow down' popup. And I am not a happy camper about it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:40 am
I can remember when the words, "pay-TV" was anathema to many people. The idea of paying for what one has gotten for free was a radical concept, and did not sit well with the public. Now most people don't even think twice about paying for cable or Dish TV.

As the net, and what you can do with it has expanded, one might reasonably expect that providers will have to find a way to control the services of excessive users.

Sorry kids, in this world, you get what you pay for. No one is entitled to unlimited access to the internet. Get over it!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 08:17 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I can remember when the words, "pay-TV" was anathema to many people. The idea of paying for what one has gotten for free was a radical concept, and did not sit well with the public. Now most people don't even think twice about paying for cable or Dish TV.

As the net, and what you can do with it has expanded, one might reasonably expect that providers will have to find a way to control the services of excessive users.

Sorry kids, in this world, you get what you pay for. No one is entitled to unlimited access to the internet. Get over it!

I don't really care whether I have 'unlimited access'. Okay, maybe a surcharge for movies or stuff that takes up a huge amount of band width deserve a surcharge--I certainly charge for my expenses when I contract to do work. But when I don't use the internet for things like that, I do resent my provider who I pay handsomely for high speed internet slowing down that service but still collecting that substantial fee just the same. I do stay on line a lot when I am home just so I don't have the lapse in time to get to a website. That's like making me wait to access natural gas or electricity because you use twice as much as I do---rhetorically speaking of course.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 08:29 am
We have such since two, three years.

(And compared to what I paid before, I now pay less with my "unlimited flatrate".)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 12:24 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
But when I don't use the internet for things like that, I do resent my provider who I pay handsomely for high speed internet slowing down that service but still collecting that substantial fee just the same. I do stay on line a lot when I am home just so I don't have the lapse in time to get to a website.

I'm with you on that one. Basically I surf the net, write and receive a few E Mails, and upload a few pictures. I have no desire to download movies or songs, but I have to put up with slowdowns when other people in my area do those things.

Take, for instance, my cell phone. I use it as a phone, period. As such, I do not pay for text messaging or getting the weather or sports scores. I like the idea of paying for the services that we want, and not being charged for something that I don't use.

The same thing goes for my cable service for my TV. I buy the packages that I will use, and don't pay for things that I won't. I don't think that it is unreasonable for internet providers to provide a menu of services for their customers to choose from.
0 Replies