What BOOK are you reading right now?

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:59 am
(Oh and edgar, very nice ear indeed! Boomerang, it was a rather shifty slice of George W Bush that had the little hairs on my neck standing on end... Wink )
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 11:22 am
I love the book club idea! Pick a book and start a thread (and please post a link so it can be read online). People like me will need some time to read. :-D

I am still (very slowly as I keep getting sidetracked with other things) reading The Metaphysical Club. One day, I'll finish it and may go to a book I'm too lazy to retrieve but I believe the title is something like The History of Physics.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 11:32 am
k,

It's Fall here now, and getting colder. TClouds partialy hide a dusting of snow up on Sandia Peak. There was ice last night on the water caught on the pool cover. I sit here now in woolen booties and a sweater. Not the sort of desert environment most people conjur up in their vision of New Mexico. With the onset of colder weather I spend more time indoors, and that translates into more computer time.

I'll look into finding a copy of Jerome's Three Men in a Boat.

I haven't been much impressed with Wealth and Democracy, though it came highly recommended by folks whose opinion I value. Triumph Without Victory, is a must read given the current political situation re. Saddam. I can also recommend Superme Command, by Eliot Cohen for anyone who wants insight into military leadership. The Joint Forces Journal and Parameters, are both excellent professional journals written by and for students of modern military science.

The book of short stories is very good, and provides a counter weight to the more serious materials.

Rumi and the Rubiyat! Outstanding poetry. Its a shame that more people aren't familiar with Rumi.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 01:12 pm
littlek - what do you think? want to go with your current book?

for a moment i wondered if working from a collection of short stories to begin with might be easier while we get a handle on the format of an online book club. any thoughts?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 01:15 pm
you know there's those website with all the ebooks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 01:16 pm
Ooh I like the short stories idea, personally. Could start with BASSotC since it's been mentioned here (and since I already read it Very Happy). But might be harder in some ways, too -- more complicated. Generally easier in these discussions to talk about a single group of characters, author's motivations, etc.

I've been discussing "Lolita" on another forum and that's been really interesting, if anyone's game.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 01:43 pm
I think it would be best to not only start with short stories but to mainly work with them as it will be easier for latecomers to get up to speed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 02:12 pm
We could always do specific short stories, rather than an anthology -- I was thinking that the latter (such as BASSotC) would be more complicated, but one specific story would have a lot to recommend it, as Jes says.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 02:13 pm
Today I got a new book:
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.
Hope it is as good as I was told.

A bookclub would be fun.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 02:18 pm
SwallowinG CloudS by A.Zee

If you liked Peter Greenaway's The Pillow Book, you might find this interesting.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 04:40 pm
The idea of reading the same book and discussing it sounds good to me. I will read what ever the group decides, it will be an adventures.

Soz, I have on my Rosie the Riveter tee shirt today.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 06:15 pm
sozobe
Actually that pic was a portion of the same photo that shows my ear. Truthfully, I detected the resemblance to Bush in that narrow slice myself, but that was me. I don't really look like Bush at all. Embarrassed
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 06:30 pm
It's just darn near impossible to identify anyone from their ear.

Are sozobe and I the only ones not getting the full image?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 06:35 pm
OH MY GOSH THAT WAS YOU?! You should, like, enter contests or something. I mean, I totally thought that was just 100% George W. Bush, hisself. Wow.

(Boomer, talking about the previous pic, which he replaced with the ear pic.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 07:01 pm
It was just a detail of that one pic. I don't actually look like him.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:22 pm
I'm still getting an ear.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:17 am
husker wrote:

That's great! It's actually quite short, I can't believe how long it's taking to read...... too much going on.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:21 am
Love the book club idea! I've already got a head start on Three Men in a Boat and there's already the link to the online version provided by Husker!

Asherman - thanks for the words on NM. I lived in Santa Fe for a few years and ache to get back. That place (northern NM) suited me well. When I arrived in NM, in December, I had no idea what a SF winter would be like - didn't bring a coat. So stupid!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:23 am
hey! I want the Coconuts back!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:26 am
Aaaawwww, maybe after xmas....?
0 Replies