Rock Star Bios

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 03:23 pm
Yeah, Spector's always loved playing with guns - and not in a good way.

From the trial coverage I taped, I got to see the testimony of a woman who was his girlfriend a few years ago. One morning, after spending the night as his place, she casually mentioned that she was ready to go home. He freaked out and started threatening her with a gun. She managed to make it to her car, but had to crouch down as she steered it down the driveway - because Spector was taking shots at her.

He may be a brilliant producer, the original "Wall of Sound" guy, and a legendary star-maker, but he's definitely a disturbed boy.

His judgement calls as a producer haven't always pleased his clients either. Remember the Beatles song, "The Long and Winding Road?" Paul McCartney had intended for that song to be done with a simple acoustic guitar. He was shocked and appalled when he heard the elaborate, schmaltzy orchestral background that Spector put in - complete with a choir. McCartney tried everything to change it, but it was too late - the record was already being pressed. Heh.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 03:26 pm
Roberta wrote:
The best rock bio I ever read was "No One Here Gets Out Alive." About the Doors.

I also read that. I don't remember many details from it, since it was probably twenty years ago when I read it, but I remember liking it.

Also, for sheer rock star excess, "Hammer of The Gods" (The Led Zeppelin story) is really entertaining. That band and it's roadies had some seriously outrageous stories.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 03:53 pm
I'll have to check out that book about The Doors. Everyone seems to have liked it.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 12:29 am
I remember reading "No one here gets out alive" and enjoying it. I also remember that, in the introduction, Sugarman said he made no apology for considering Jim Morrison to be "a god". And not in that "celebrity" way, but a bona fide other-worldly god!

Nurse!
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 11:17 am
I wanna read the Motley Crue one.

I've read quite a few Prince one's but my favorite (not saying it's the best or most detailed) is Slave to the Rhythm by Liz Jones.

I heard that His Way by Kitty Kelly about Frank Sinatra is fantastic. I must get round to reading that soon.
0 Replies