The Theme, the Impossible Theme

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:15 pm
Walkin' Down the Aisle with Uncle Walt? Disney is now marketing baby clothing, women's loungewear, costume jewelery and home accessories "inspired" by The Disney Princesses.

Kirstie Kelly is marketing a line of wedding dresses ($1100 to $3500) based on gowns worn by Snow White, Cinderella, Belle, Sleeping Beauty, Jasmine and Ariel.

http://www.mcall.com/business/local/all-disney.5928778jul04,0,2468610.story

http://www.herecomestheguide.com/scene/detail/fairy-tale-wedding-dresses/

The mind boggles--at least my mind does.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,162 • Replies: 28
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 02:46 pm
I know I'm probably the corniest person in the world but I really like Walt Disney. I grew up on Disney. I watched his show every week. I cried every year because we couldn't go to Disneyland for a vacation.

Even as a Disney junkie of the "Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" and not the princess variety I kind of see how this works.

Plus, I think the dresses are pretty: http://www.disneybridal.com/index.html
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:16 pm
boom...

Some of the themes escaped me...and a copy of them looked so immature it was kinda....mmm...ewwy...thinking it was supposed to be for a bride.

I will say I like most of the Ariel one's, if only because I liked they way they puddled on the floor....mermaids tail....

The most elegant collection was Belle...that one in the middle....WOW!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:20 pm
Chai.... I love it when you talk like that!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:20 pm
Chai.... is Wally home?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:59 pm
I don't know what you mean by "copy". Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the Disney princess'.

I can't get a photo from the site to post but I really liked the third Jasmine dress.

I dunno.... it just all makes sense to me.... Disney was in the business of credible make believe and that's what weddings are all about.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:26 pm
It is a small world after all
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:46 pm
My favorite part of Disney World. That and the sidewalk artist who did a profile of me and Bud.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/images/fireguide/FL_Castle_400.JPG
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:14 am
boomerang wrote:
I don't know what you mean by "copy". Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the Disney princess'.

I can't get a photo from the site to post but I really liked the third Jasmine dress.

I dunno.... it just all makes sense to me.... Disney was in the business of credible make believe and that's what weddings are all about.

oops, meant a "couple" of them.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:31 am
I never understood the huge wedding dress.

and.... uh..... I couldnt help but notice that those dresses are not meant for big busted women.
.. ?
Im sure it could be tailored right?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:34 am
Looking at them all again, some are very nice, and others, I can see what noddy was saying...

For instance..the Cinderella collection? Most of them look like the girl isn't really sure she wants to grow up. Like a childs idea of what a princess, especially daddy's little princess should look like. IMO if you want to look like a little girl, maybe you're not ready to marry....The 5th one is pretty good though.

Sleeping Beauty...the 3rd one with the ribbon just looks ridiculous. The 4th one looks like Heidi.

Snow White...as far as themes go, I like the 1st one...looks like what the wicked stepmother would wear, Linkat, are you listening?

boom the one you like in Jasmine? the off white 3rd one? Perhaps it's the evil stepmother in me, but I would have such an urge if I was a wedding guest to grab the top and yank it down, like a tube top.....just doesn't look "stable" enough for me.

I guess I still like the Belle best, the 1st and the 3rd. But I looking at it from my body type. Others would be lovely on someone willowy.

But, relating it to the "perfect day" thread, I can see the potential for some real bridezilla action.

The perfect princess on her perfect day.
0 Replies

Wally Tea

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 07:04 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Chai.... is Wally home?

What is it this time, Gus?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 07:12 am
I think that getting married (in other words - beginning your adult life) in a dress copied from a cartoon character is a bit ridiculous.
Once you reach adulthood, the Disney crap should be put away until you need to get it out for your kids.

jmo
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 07:48 am
I love those dresses but they aren't very Disney-esque if you ask me. I've seen dresses like that before at David's Bridal.

And a Disney wedding would be fabulous I am sure but $100 a person???? Holy ****.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 07:50 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I never understood the huge wedding dress.

and.... uh..... I couldnt help but notice that those dresses are not meant for big busted women.
.. ?
Im sure it could be tailored right?

I had a huge wedding dress... Embarrassed

And yes, most can be altered although some are just made for small busted women and others for larger. A strapless, for example, can be altered for a small bust but looks much better altered for a bigger one.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 08:01 am
I think shewofnm needs the "Jessica Rabbit dress." :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 10:00 am
Background: I was raised by a mother who snipped the Levi label off the outside of her children's jeans so that we wouldn't be turning our bodies into bulletin boards and giving Levi-Strauss free advertising.

"Mass produced" and "store bought" are not objective terms in my vocabulary. (Mind, I don't sew and I don't often bake and I take full advantage of bottled short-cuts and deli salads).

My mother also raised me with the dictum, "Never spend other people's time or other people's money." If a Blushing Bride chooses to be an avatar of a cartoon character, this is her choice (and her mother's
choice--brides rarely fall far from Family Tree Traditions).

Finally, I don't grok the "Perfect Day" concept. I can understand the theory, but coordinating the nail polish on the Flower Girl's covered-up toes with the ribbons on the buffet table seems pointless.

Children, when the next asteroid falls, I'm going to be the first dinosaur to go.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 11:35 am
I'll be right there with you, Noddy.

I don't get it either -- the big wedding thing -- the perfect day bit. I have only known one bridezilla and I had a handy excuse not to attend the wedding, thank goodness.

The only really big wedding I ever attended was my brothers. Not only was it a Catholic ceremony, it was a military ceremony so TRADITION played a huge role. It was very formal and very lovely. Certainly a "princess" style wedding. All these years later (30?) they both still talk fondly of that day.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 11:40 am
Wally Tea wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Chai.... is Wally home?

What is it this time, Gus?

He just wants to feel up my Sleeping Beauty "Heidi in the Mountains" gown.

Noddy, not sure if you've posted on my "perfect day" thread, it's about the unrealistic expectations of that day, the the enormous amounts of money that can be spent.

It's a puzzlement.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 12:10 pm
We didn't do anything extravagant at all...and still spent close to $20,000 on our wedding.

Food is e x p e n s i v e.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Theme, the Impossible Theme
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 05:49:45