Canajuns - snap crackle pop

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 05:38 pm
This just in!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everybody,

Big excitement! Snap Crackle Pop rides again! Tune in to CBC Radio One on Sunday morning, July 1 - six to nine AM - for three hours of tantalizingly entertaining radio. Paul Grant and I will be spinning all three speeds - 33, 45 and 78 rpm.

We'll ease in to the sunrise with tracks from John Coltrane, the obscure Judee Sill, some very early Jane Siberry, Neil Young, Fraser McPherson etc. Near the end of that first hour, you'll be treated to a batch of Jazzy Gal tunes from some of my favourites - Etta Jones, Terri Thornton, Ella Fitzgerald…...

The second hour will be nothin' but a Shellac Shack Shuffle - all 78s between 7 and 8 AM (7:30 and 8:30 AM in Nfld) - including a big stack of 1950s rockin' platters (Carl Perkens, Jack Scott, Etta James etc) near the end of that rapidly rotating hour.

Hang in there for the third hour - all Summer Songs from the likes of Eddie Cochrane, The Rao-O-Vacs, Sara & Maybelle Carter, Robert Parker, Jack Teagarden and more.

As usual, you'll hear loads of Canadian records - obscure and not so obscure. And, Paul and I will plug a few July 1 celebratory events happening across the land.

I've scanned several 78 labels for your viewing pleasure. They should be up on my site in a couple of days……

http://www.royforbes.ca/snapcracklepop.html

All in all, it's gonna be a heck of a lot of fun as Paul and I celebrate Canada's 140th birthday. Hope you can tune in.

And, folks- thanks, always, for your excellent and entertaining e-mails, both to me and to the CBC. Your solid support is a big part of why Paul and I have kept on doing this Snap Crackle Poppin' thing since September 1996. Keep 'em comin' and we'll keep doing the shows. Feel free to forward this note to anyone on your own mailing list who might like to have a listen to SCP.

Cheers and big loud HAPPY CANADA DAY from Paul Grant and from me,

Roy Forbes

PS. If you'd like a weekly fix of tunes from my 'slightly cluttered basement' you can tune in every Monday evening (six PM, Mountain Time) to Roy's Record Room on the CKUA radio network - via your AM or FM radio if you're in Alberta, via your computer if you're anywhere else in the world. Here's a link to the RRR section of CKUA's website for more info.

http://www.ckua.com/programs/roysrecordroom/index.html

And, feel free to let me know if you'd like to be on the RRR e-mail list.

PPS. If you want to keep up with what I'm up to, check http://www.royforbes.ca/dates.html

~~~~

I've sent Roy an email to ask how I can get in touch with someone at the CBC to try and prod them into more Snap Crackle Pop.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 909 • Replies: 4
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 06:47 pm
nice these guys play some great tunes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 06:49 pm
I'm really looking forward to hearing some more of the 78's from his collection.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 06:52 pm
i really miss finkelman's 45's, that was a great show
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 07:00 pm
you don't want to get me started on how much I love the Finkelman brothers

I have some really clear memories of listening to Finkelman's 45s in the car, coming back from the cottage - or at the cottage at the end of the summer, when no one else was on the lake - just me and Danny
0 Replies