Single time purchase from China

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 10:00 pm
Hello All,
I am a blacksmith by trade and occasionally order items which are imported. The last time I did so was some special leather from Norway and I exceeded the $2,000 informal cutoff amount by abut $50 and go hit with a large broker fee (had to find a broker in Milwaukee, WI late in the day that I went to claim the item at the airport).I did not know of the formal/informal thing prior to ordering or I would have simply split the order.

At any rate

Now I am looking at a single machine (an induction furnace for heating metal) from a manufacturer in China. The unit looks good and the costs are, well, low and the company seems good judging from a few emails. The comparable unit in the US is about $20,000 while the Chinese made one is about $4,000. I struggled with the idea of buying Chinese, but it is a matter of getting this one or none at all. The unit weight is about 120 pounds plus crate and the size of a large microwave oven.

I have no problem with working with a broker, but would like a heads up on whom to contact.
Again,
I live in Wisconsin and would prefer to do some form of delivery with few hassles. I can drive a bit to pick this up, but not to California.

Ric
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,188 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ric Furrer

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 09:55 am
Hello All,
I found this on the HTSA which I think referes to the product I wish to import.
What does the 35% refer to?
I read the definition, but it did not seem to "explain" anything.

Ric

Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (2007) (Rev. 1)

8514 Industrial or laboratory electric furnaces and ovens
(including those functioning by induction or dielectric loss);
other industrial or laboratory equipment for the heat
treatment of materials by induction or dielectric loss;
parts thereof:
8514.10.00 00 Resistance heated furnaces and ovens ............. No. ..... Free 35%
0 Replies

coy95

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:41 pm
Single time purchase from China
Ric,

A couple of things; get a broker involved as early as possible don't wait for it to arrive. Because the value is over $2,000.00 you will need to file a formal entry and it is much easier for a broker to do that for you.

If you have already had to use a broker for a formal entry then you should have had to sign a Power of Attorney; unless that broker was horrible to work with, you should use them again to save the hassle of doing the POA again. Most will charge you about the same. Below is a link to the Customs brokers at the Milwaukee airport.

Customs brokers

The HSTUS number you provided; 8514.10.0000 is duty free when it is imported from China. The 35% would only be charged if you imported it from Cuba or North Korea (referred to as column 2 countries).

Since there is no duty, you should expect to pay the broker around $125.00 plus some other fees that customs will require like MPF & HMF (only if you ship by ocean) which should not be over $30.00.

As for the shipping, anyone of these brokers should be able to help you set that up; your vendor may also be able to help. Another option is UPS/FedEx but this usually cost more.
0 Replies

cnlider

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 09:53 pm
One unit shipment
Hi Ric,

It is a surprise to meet your problem.

I am just doing the right job for you.

You need a freight forwarder to help you to deliver the goods and finish the customs.

If you need other info,just reply,I will be with your further question.
0 Replies

noraliu

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 03:18 pm
I help my brother in law bought a container load of fishing barber? a little ball of hard pvc and they started with sample they bought in wal mart..and they seems very happy with it.
I think it is worth to try...if you need help...let me know the factory and I can call and found out for you. and I can import and clear the us custom and bring in to the port you want. I think it will be chicago port, right?

we go to china frequeently, we take store owners/buyers or importer/wholesaler to be to show them how to start to import...we have 16 years in United states in wholesale business and 12 years in Taiwan as Exporter after I graduated from University. so, we can help you to achieve what you like to do. if you re interested, please send me email
[email protected]
or call me 954 748 9000

take care.
0 Replies