Child-free zones?

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:56 am
I'd thaught that it would be a good notation for a place to be called "child-friendly".

But it seems that thers think differently, like e.g. in Forest Lake, Il. [size=7][I've been there :-D ][/size], where a kid-free zome will be opened on the public beach.

Quote:
The beach ban is one of a growing number of prohibitions against kids that have popped up in recent years. From hotels to coffeehouses, child-free seems to be gaining popularity in an otherwise family friendly nation.

source: Chicago Tribune: Adults draw line in the sand in Lake Forest

I wonder, if they've got a dog-free zone before (or at all, nothing is mentioned about that in the report).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 594 • Replies: 19
No top replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:06 am
Many public beaches are dog free, Walter. There are special dog beaches. I just saw that the Chicago Park District has special dogs on some of the beaches to keep the seagulls away. The hope is to reduce the number of beach closings due to coliform bacteria that is thought to originate from the birds.

As to the kid-free zone... keep in mind that LF is one of the last bastions of society where children are to be seen and not heard. It's only one step further to make it so they aren't seen either.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:15 am
Personally, I like the idea of adults having a few places they can chill out without hearing yelling, screaming kids.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:17 am
There are apt complexes that dont allow children either.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:22 am
Yeah, but this is the public beach supported through tax dollars from all residents. Obviously, the Park District Board made the decision, and if the residents don't like it they can complain to the Board or vote them out next time.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:24 am
Well, having had some discussions with my mother, aunt and MIL, I prefer senior-free zones.
And when I worked with them, I'd preferred in my spare time handicap-free zones.

However, I don't think that I'd liked that to be instutionalised, which ID-card check etc.

And this is a public beach.

(Oh, I like calm corners without kids, too, and I don't like to be pissed at by dogs on beaches [or worse] as well.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:30 am
A question aside: why is it child-free and not children-free?

(I notice some kind of logic in using the singular - same as in childless - but other languages use plural terms for that.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:34 am
I've seen child-free and kids-free both. I don't think there's a particular reason beyond convention.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:35 am
How old would you need to be to access a child free beach?

13? 15? 18? Different age for boys and girls because girls mature at an earlier age?

Walter it is child free so if you have one child its a no go zone but if you have [/I]Children You could possibly argue a case.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:57 am
21 is the age according to that report (other when you're a 18-year-old lifeguard).
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:06 am
So if a 14 year old kid took the bus would he pay adult fare?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:11 am
Probably not. Public transportation has 'student' fares. It's irrelevant though. The public beaches are run by an elected Board who meet to set policy. Chances are good that a group of taxpaying adults requested the Board consider the child-free policy, hearings or open discussions were held, and the policy was approved.

If other adults don't like it, they can complain to the Board or elect a new Board next time. Policies can be changed fairly easily if enough residents push for it.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:13 am
I couldn't access the article.

But, I can see this being a good idea in some situations. No point though, in my mind, unless there is a break on other restrictions in that zone as well.

For example, put all the folks who want to drink and get naked are there for the meat market on a 'party beach' that is kid free.

That would make sense. Don't need kids at a bar on sand.

Is alcohol legal to drink on the beach there?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:16 am
JPB wrote:
Probably not. Public transportation has 'student' fares. It's irrelevant though.

Of course its irrellevant. It just annoys me that teenagers are treated as adults when it comes to financial considerations. But in other areaa are considered children incapable of making decisions in their own interest.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:17 am
I doubt it. Also, this isn't a nude beach. It's a quiet zone for adults.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:17 am
Full report (from the online edition)

Quote:
Adults draw line in the sand in Lake Forest
Lake Forest draws line in the sand for adults who want peace and quiet on lake

By Susan Kuczka
Tribune staff reporter

June 22, 2007

Pails, shovels and the kids who tote them no longer will be allowed in a kid-free zone that opened this summer on the public beach in Lake Forest.

"We're creating a quieter space for those adults that are in search of that type of atmosphere," said Sally Swarthout, program manager for the north suburban city's Parks & Recreation Board, which created the 21-and-older beach at the request of several residents. About a quarter of the city's nearly mile-long beach is now for adults only.

Baby Boomer Cindy Janke called it a welcome oasis.

"It's just nice to have a break away from the noise and crowds, and have a little peace and quiet, and listen to the waves, and kind of lose yourself in the tranquility of the shoreline," said Janke, whose children are grown. "Everyone's so used to being around kids when we were younger, but here you might be able to socialize with a few members of the older generation."

The beach ban is one of a growing number of prohibitions against kids that have popped up in recent years. From hotels to coffeehouses, child-free seems to be gaining popularity in an otherwise family-friendly nation.

Experts say a combination of factors may be at play: the increasing number of childless households across the nation; the demise of the old saw that children should be seen and not heard; and a huge Baby Boomer population with a 'been there, done that' attitude toward children. And in a more hectic world, people are trying to carve out some solitude.

The efforts to restrict children's behavior usually don't come without controversy, especially if they make parents feel like outcasts. A Taste of Heaven in Andersonville made national headlines when owner Dan McCauley put up a sign in the window that read: "Children of all ages have to behave and use their indoor voices when coming to A Taste of Heaven."

The Lake Forest beach ban also could brew a storm, some experts say.

"To close off a space that is quintessentially associated with children and sand castles and pails and bathing suits seems to me to be a sad commentary," said Diane Geraghty, director of the Civitas ChildLaw Center at Loyola University Chicago. "It almost sounds like people want to create their own country club on [public] property."

But some parents with kids at home said they, too, relish the rare quiet time at the kid-free beach. The city's Park and Recreation Board approved creation of the adults-only section last fall.

"If I came here, and there were a million screaming kids, where would I go to get away from mine?" said Dawn Kirsch, a 40-something mother of four who sneaks to the shoreline when she can. "Sometimes I just want to get away from the phone and the kids and just relax and hear the sound of the water."

Joanne Philpott, 36, goes to the beach with her three children, unless she can get away by herself, like she did this week.

"When I have the kids, I have all that craziness, so when you can get an hour of relaxation to yourself, the last thing you want to do is watch someone else's kid running all around," she said.

Still, some residents wonder why a kid-free beach is necessary. They said adults tended to gravitate to the area that is now for adults only because it was farthest away from the beach playground.

"It has typically been used by a lot of adults who want to get away from the kids kicking sand and throwing Frisbees and making lots of noise," said parks Supt. Wendy McKiernan.

With more people living in kid-free households, it's also become acceptable for adults to request a child-free zone, according to Bernard Beck, an associate professor emeritus at Northwestern University in Evanston.

"It didn't use to be respectable to speak out in public in ways that were anti-child or anti-family, but now that sort of talk is very acceptable," Beck said.

The pint-size beachgoers never bothered Joanne Martin, who said she considered the kids' play as natural to the beach scene as the sand.

"I can kind of understand when the kids are playing Frisbee and running all over, but I really like to hear the voices of children on the beach," said Martin, a mother of three, who visited the all-ages beach recently with her 7th grader.

Although there's no fencing or signs surrounding the adults-only zone, the beach staff has been told to keep an eye out for anyone under 21.

Lifeguards said they aren't worried about teenagers trying to sneak in. "The kids never really hung out there anyway because of all the adults," lifeguard Julian Bulaon said.

Some teenagers, though, don't like being singled out.

"It's not very nice," said Alyssa Loicano, 13.

Visitors to the adults-only section will be asked to show proof of their age, a requirement that monitors don't expect to be too onerous.

"We'll just eyeball people, and if they look too young we'll get them out of there," said Bulaon, who at 18 is technically barred from the adults-only section. "But I'm the lifeguard, so if I have to go on it to yell at somebody, it'll be OK."

----------

[email protected]
Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:19 am
JPB wrote:
I doubt it. Also, this isn't a nude beach. It's a quiet zone for adults.

Ah -- didn't see dadpad's post. This was in response to flushd.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 10:14 am
One question though - if they are banning children because they want it quiet - what do they do about noisy adults or loud radios?

Just wondering as it isn't always that children that are the loudest.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 03:27 pm
I'm sure they all have ipods.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 07:18 pm
No radio for me at the beach. The small beach we have across the street is private, but close residents have the right of way to it, so no one is ever there when I go and I love just listening to the sound of the water and the birds.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Child-free zones?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 12:00:59