Have you seen the Blind Boys of Alabama?

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 01:23 pm
Last night at the Ramshead Tavern in Annapolis, the Blind Boys of Alabama tore the roof of the place. The originals that are left are in their late 70's to early 80's and I wish I had one-fourth of the lung power they have. The do rollicking feel-good gosple music, not a sappy number in the bunch. At mid-show, they began what appeared to be "The House of the Rising Sun", but they only used the musical arrangment and instead, sang the lyrics of Amazing Grace. The combination was eery and beautiful at the same time. When they introduced the band members, they noted that the bass player used to play with Dr. Hook. One of the original members played the drums with a lot of power, reminded me of Gene Krupa. Check your local listings, because if they are coming to your town, I guarantee you'll enjoy the performance. When I got home, I noticed my hands were bruised from clapping too much. I'd see them again in a heart beat.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,560 • Replies: 8
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 02:02 pm
Quote:
Have you seen the Blind Boys of Alabama?

No, and they haven't seen me, either. (But I have heard 'em, and they're damn good.)
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 06:44 pm
Have you seen the Blind Boys of Alabama???
Patiodog, at the risk of sounding like a smart-ass, The Blind Boys will never be able to see you (at least in this lifetime), but I bet they would sing their hearts out for you. Damn I had a good time. I wish everybody could see them, it was a romping, stomping good time.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 06:13 pm
I saw them when they opened for Peter Gabriel a few months ago in Vancouver.
I was mesmerized.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 06:23 pm
Hey, are they the guys who sang some of the songs in that movie there....? <gawd, I am so bad with names>
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 07:17 am
Never saw them live but remember my mother playing their albums many years ago. Are there still five of them? They used to be called the Five Blind Boys of Alabama.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 07:46 am
littlek, were you thinking of O Brother Where Art Thou? If so, the answer is no - they aren't on my soundtrack anyway.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 09:10 am
Have you seen the Blind Boys of Alabama
It appears there are only 3 left. The three remaining do all the heavy vocal work and they have a few more musicians on stage. One of the original members plays the drums, and the other two are incredible. One elderly man, I bet he is in his 80's could hold a note so long the audience went wild.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 12:42 pm
Interesting that Peter Gabriel would have them open for him. But I remember it was the Dixie Hummingbirds who sang backup for Paul Simon's "Loves me Like a Rock" and Ry Cooder has used gospel musicians on his albums as well. When it comes to airtight harmony, two-part, four-part, six-part, whatever, the kind of vocal harmony that breaks your heart with it's sweetness, you'd best go to church.
0 Replies