Third Party Tracking Cookies

Pitter

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:51 am
Is there any good reason to allow third party tracking cookies to be placed on your computer? If not then why is the ability to block them not a standard setting? It took me a bit of research to find that I could go to "tools", "advanced privacy" etc. to do it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 689 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 09:28 am
Ask bill Gates. It seems reasonable to me
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:25 am
Re: Third Party Tracking Cookies
Pitter wrote:
Is there any good reason to allow third party tracking cookies to be placed on your computer?

By and large, yes.

Quote:
If not then why is the ability to block them not a standard setting? It took me a bit of research to find that I could go to "tools", "advanced privacy" etc. to do it.

"Cookies", for the most part, do no harm. Yeah, 3rd party cookies can allow the company that generates them to see that you visit multiple sites. Some people think this is a major privacy issue but I don't buy into that.

The benefits of not getting the same ad over and over again and getting ads that are more likely to be relevant to me is a bigger benefit (if you can call getting ads thrown at you a benefit!) than the privacy I might have lost. And, if people are concerned, the ability to turn them off is there, as you found...
0 Replies