life in new mexico (Sopranos)

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 06:35 pm
Re: life in new mexico (Sopranos)
dyslexia wrote:
All the noise about The Sopranos on all the news today makes me wonder just how isolated me and the lady Diane are. We have never seen an episode of The Sopranos. ( I don't even know if I am spelling it correctly)

I haven't ever seen an episode either - our isolation isn't so much about location.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 06:52 pm
Hey Chai, Joisey Goils are sure enough tough with street smarts worthy of a PhD.

Roberta is another one, but from da Bronx. In fact, she is my favorite goil from da Bronx (with great stories to tell).
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 07:51 pm
Here's a pitcha of me and Roboita and a coupla a otha debs hangin' out in the parkin' lot of the Best Western in Secaucus.

we was waitin' for happy hour to start.

http://www.lauralashley.com/tough%20girls.jpg
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 08:40 pm
Oops. We must be speaking of different Raboidas.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 10:58 pm
Seaglass never saw the Sopranos

Wonder if HBO will sell its 86 episodes to one of the networks and we can watch reruns = or maybe they will do a special package of the 86 episodes on dvd and sell them.

How many folks have read Jimmy Breslin's THE GANG THAT COULD NOT SHOOT STRAIGHT = great book.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:08 pm
Seaglass, I read the review on Amazon and bought a .99 cent used copy. It sounds hilarious.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:19 pm
From a Blog by Tony Hendra:

Finally! It's OVER. The pandering, pretentious, overblown, over-wrought, over-interpreted, over-rated series about a loathsome subculture of brutal cowards who feed off the poor, the weak and one another, who despise anyone not of their race and express their displeasure with baseball bats (provided the odds are solidly in their favor) and manifest their manliness or loyalty or code or some such drivel by bravely shooting, stabbing or garroting their (preferably unarmed) victims from the rear.

No I'm not talking about the Republican presidential debates. I'm talking about The Sopranos.

My loathing for the Sopranos hasn't made me particularly popular over the last few years at dinner parties, but now that the much beloved stream of conscience-less-ness has finally breathed its banal who-cares last, it's time to slink around the Escalade and put a moon-roof in its head.

For nine long seasons I've listened slack-jawed to friends of whom I'm otherwise fond, raving on about how 'The Sopranos speak to our times' or 'The Sopranos are us or encapsulate the decline of the nation. I doubt if any series has ever had so much groveling or self-aggrandizing intellectual hot air blown up its butt in all of television history. About the artistry of its creator David Chase and his endless inventiveness, superlatives about the brilliance of locations, casting, 'message' the Sopranos' Shakespearian sweep and grandeur, its raw and flawless realism, and above all about Tony's 'conflicted' life, his essential 'sweetness'

Gandolfini sweet? Gandolfini couldn't play sweet if you waterboarded him in molasses.

I never did understood the mass delusion that seemed to grip otherwise intelligent well-informed and even sensitive people about the Sopranos, but I understand that such monumental shared delusions can happen. At Fatima in 1917 for example, tens of thousands believed the sun stood still in the sky. In the weeks immediately following 9/11 vast numbers of people persuaded themselves that George Bush wasn't a worthless moral homunculus. But perhaps we can all rub our eyes now, blink away our delusions and start examining what on earth it was that cast its demon spell on us all these years.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:25 pm
Hendra never "gets it". Hes a little mook.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:36 pm
Snood, you'll love this review of the Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight, the one seaglss recommended.

By Ryan McNabb (Ooltewah, TN USA) - See all my reviews

Quote:
This is a painfully hilarious book. Just after The Godfather, and long before the subsequent mafia deluge we would all see in books and movies, Jimmy Breslin created the worst crime family in the world, the hilarious Looking Glass image of the Corleones. They're dangerous, sure, but usually only by accident, and as long as you're standing in front of their guns you'll be allright. The Old Man is afraid his car is booby trapped, so every morning he has his wife start the engine for him. Big Jelly Catalano has a stolen circus lion in his basement that he feeds his victims to. An obituary for a gangster reads "He died of natural causes as his heart stopped suddenly when six men stuck knives into it." It's pretty over the top stuff, and not for the squeamish. It's one of the few books I've read that made me laugh so hard my chest was sore the next day. Highly recommended.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:43 pm
I think I read "The Gang..." when I was in High School. It was kinda funny, but sad also. Breslins capos were sad, not so mucg evil as the real world Gottis or Scarfo's.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 08:07:40