Credit report

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 09:20 pm
I would like to get a report on the health of my credit status. I see that there are many websites offering free reports, but am reluctant to dish out all my private info to just anyone. Does anyone have a great report company that they use?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 852 • Replies: 8
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 09:23 pm
To answer my own Q, in part, here's a federal government website where you can download a form and sned it in for a free report.

http://answers.usa.gov/cgi-bin/gsa_ict.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=67
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 09:27 pm
I've used Experian with good results. If you have a choice of free or fee, you will get better interpretation if you pay. Be prepared to print. Often you can't retreive your information.

Of course, what you found may be better than all the others.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 09:31 pm
The gov says there are 4 major credit reporting companies. I think I visited one. You get your free report, but need to give a credit card number to do so. It's not for this transaction, you see, but for the monthly or periodic reports they'll be sending later. Tricksy. Must I learn the ways of liars and swindlers in order to be financially saavy?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 09:38 pm
You can get your free annual reports through this site without many hassels.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

(This is the site that the 3 major credit reporting companies all refer you to!)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 09:39 pm
Thank you Roger and fishin!

(hope you're feeling better Roger!)
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:18 pm
It's best not to use one of them .com credit reporting services! They claim the service is free but, believe me, they are making money! Use a government site or hire a private credit analyst!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:26 am
NickFun wrote:
It's best not to use one of them .com credit reporting services! They claim the service is free but, believe me, they are making money! Use a government site or hire a private credit analyst!

The government site refers you to the site I linked. Wink
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:41 am
I went to equifax.

No credit card needed,
and it is only once a year
you can get your credit report.

Usually.. ( well last year for me) after I filed with equifax, they gave me the information and the option of getting a report from 3 other companies for free.

In fact it is about time for me to do it again..
thanks for the reminder. Smile
0 Replies