CUNNING LINGUISTS

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 06:00 pm
Use this space for your clever plays on words, or your language musings.

In Toronto, there's a street named Avenue Road. Should i refer to this as Avenue Road Street? If there is a residential neighborhood at the end of Avenue Road Street with a traffic circle (roundabout for those Brits who are language challenged), would that be called Avenue Road Street Crescent.

Questions like these haunt me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,307 • Replies: 80
No top replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 06:36 pm
If you sock a smiling Gypsy in the kisser, are you striking a happy medium ?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 06:46 pm
Gypsy Boots liked roots and shoots, but gypsum flutes make terrible toots.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 06:49 pm
My niece came up with a good one: "No trust passing!"
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:55 pm
There is a street here called North West South Dakota. It's an ugly street but I always wanted to live there and change my name to East.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:41 pm
Little kids come up with great words and phrases. One of mine used to call the ceiling the "skyling."
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:47 pm
BM
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:23 pm
My aunt was 13 when is was born, so i was just a little kid when she went away to college. About the same time, i discovered that wonderful food, cottage cheese. Only, i called it "college cheese." Finally, one of the grown ups got exasperated, and told me it was cottage cheese. So i asked what a cottage is. She told me it means a little house, like the cottage my grandfather had in the woods that we went to in the summer. I had never really understood what college meant, but now i was really confused. I didn't understand why my aunt had gone off to live in a little house in the woods. I mean, why? Nobody was mad at her, or anything like that.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:44 pm
In the East Bay, California, there's a stretch of highway where 580E and 80W run parallel to each other. At one point, they even merge, which means one can find oneself in the unlikely situation of travelling east on one highway and west on another at the same time. Geographically, both highways are actually pointing north.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:48 pm
Oh, sure, Shapeless, that's plain enough to me....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:08 pm
Shapeless wrote:
In the East Bay, California, there's a stretch of highway where 580E and 80W run parallel to each other. At one point, they even merge, which means one can find oneself in the unlikely situation of travelling east on one highway and west on another at the same time. Geographically, both highways are actually pointing north.

Yeah, they got a stretch like that when you're on 480 west and 271 south at the same time outside Cleveland. You gotta watch out, though, if you screw up, you could be headed for Toledo long before you wake up to the fact.

And that's a really ugly thought . . .
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:25 pm
I wish I had something to say, but I don't.
[size=7]

abcd...wxyz Turn back now
zyxw...dcba Don't read this, you will regret it
Gsv xlmhlig (li xloovztfv) droo ozmtfrhs zh svi xfmg rh ozerhsob orxpvw yb z xfmmrmt ormtfrhg, dsl droo lm xfv xlmhfnv svi xfn lmxv yilftsg gl xfonrmzgrlm yb xfmmrormtfh.
[/size]
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:29 pm
I find it hilarious that the advertising program is highlighting "dsl" in your post--assuming that it was just random crap . . .
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 11:04 pm
Oh, I disabled all that stuff...so annoying!
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 11:36 pm
stuh, how? for god's sake, man, tell me how!!!!!!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 12:01 am
It's either AdBlock or NoScript extensions for Firefox
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 03:40 am
I was subletting an apartment in Greewich Village. I was casually walking to the subway. I made the mistake of looking up at the street sign. I was at the corner of Waverly Place and Waverly Place. I got so confused that I had to backtrack to the apartment and start over.

Sorry I couldn't come up with what this thread is asking for, Set. I'm too tired to be clever. Maybe later. Of course maybe fatigue has nothing to do with it. Could be I wouldn't be clever even after 8 hours of sound sleep. But I'm willing to give it a try.

Later, kid.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 05:44 am
I know exactly what you mean, Raboida . . . the same thing happened to me when i thought i was at the corner of Walk and Don't Walk, but when i looked up a second time, i was horrified to find myself at the corner of Don't Walk and Don't Walk. Like you, i gave it up, 'though i just went home and stayed there.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 06:02 am
Shapeless wrote:

How can I get it straight, without losing the north?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:10 am
I 95. How old Eubie, Blake?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » CUNNING LINGUISTS
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 09:23:03