How Do You Decide What To Read Next?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 04:45 pm
I agree with doowop - I appreciate a book I can wrinkle... and not gain muscle strength in the holding thereof. Thus my slowness to make it through A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. I'm probably on p. 546 by now... thunk! plop!
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 04:53 pm
Noddy24, I usually have a clear out every three months or so, and give the books to my neighbor who works at an animal shelter. They have open days and sell donated items.
Trouble is though, I always go to the open days, and it has been known for me to end up buying back one or two of my books in error.

I'll check out amazon for bargains now. Thanks.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 05:00 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I agree with doowop - I appreciate a book I can wrinkle... and not gain muscle strength in the holding thereof. Thus my slowness to make it through A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. I'm probably on p. 546 by now... thunk! plop!

I find with big hardback books, that it's easiest to hold when you're round about the middle page. Starting or just finishing means that all of the weight is over on one side.
With hardback tomes, I tend to rest the weight of the book on the edge of the bedside cupboard. Trouble is, I usually fall asleep in the reading position and then get rudely awakened when I move in my sleep and the thing crashes to the floor.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 05:12 pm
Do you know about Powells.com? If you order $50. worth, there's no shipping fee.. I've been known to get quite a stack of books for that amount.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 05:13 pm
Don't encourage me, otherwise I'll have to buy a bigger cupboard. So many books, so little time. Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 05:19 pm
I've always read what I wanted.

When I was a senior in high school, I went to Berkeley to interview for a scholarship. One of the questions was, "What was the last book you read?" I answered honestly -- don't remember what it was exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was either Douglas Adams (hooray) or early John Irving (boo).

The interviewer was not impressed, and didn't ask any more questions (like, "What did you read before that?").

I didn't get the scholarship, and I didn't go to Berkeley.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 05:24 pm
Well, I've inspired myself... to go to check Powell's..
There are a couple of used book stores here I haven't checked out yet, way across town, but I'm not hopeful. Last I checked with a friend was jammed to the gills with torrid romances.

Schniff in memory of the very drecky Marlow's in Santa Monica (paperback crimes series stuff, 50 cents, no wonder they went out of business - and I got some wonderful old tomes on ital history and politics for very little money.). Schniff to Bookleggers up in Humboldt County, v. discerning used book store with a buyback program.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 05:25 pm
Me too, Patio. Re reading what I wanted.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 01:15 am
No shipping fee, when you order $25 in books from Amazon.com.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:57 am
Or if you do their "Prime" thing. I've had that for about a year and have ordered oodles of books (and other stuff). Some for us, some presents. Free shipping.

Douglas Adams is deep, man, deep. Phooey on Berkeley if they looked down their collective noses at 'im.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 08:55 am
Miller wrote:

Don't those have to be new? (I don't remember right this minute, but I thought so.)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:43 am
ossobuco wrote:
Miller wrote:

Don't those have to be new? (I don't remember right this minute, but I thought so.)

Yes, new! But the hardcover are going for about $12-$14/book right now, slightly more than the paperback. I think there's better paper in the former.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 01:28 pm
Amazon doesn't have a second-hand department. They act as agents for other bookstores and individuals who want to sell second hand books.

Some second had books are priced as low as $.01--but P&H is $3.99 for each order from each vendor.

This week I bought four books for $.94--plus $15.96 P&H.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 06:02 am
P&H can be very high.
0 Replies