I'll stand by you

Don1

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:55 am
One of my fav tracks of all time is Rod Stewart singing "I'll stand by you"

question is who sang it first and who wrote it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,421 • Replies: 18
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:14 am
Re: I'll stand by you
Don1 wrote:
One of my fav tracks of all time is Rod Stewart singing "I'll stand by you"

question is who sang it first

The Pretenders

Quote:
and who wrote it?

Chrissie Hynde, Tom Kelly and Billy Steinberg.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:15 am
Dunno who wrote it Don but Chrissie Hynde sang it too didn't she?

If it's the same song you're talking about.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:15 am
Not Done by Rod Stewart
I don't think Rod Stewart ever did it. Perhaps you are confused about this.

""I'll Stand by You" is a 1994 song recorded by The Pretenders from their sixth studio album Last of the Independents. Written by group leader Chrissie Hynde in collaboration with the professional songwriting team of Tom Kelly and Billy Steinberg, it was the Pretenders' last significant hit single.

The song is a ballad that pledges love and faithful assistance in times of personal darkness. Since then, "I'll Stand By You" has also become a major hit for 'Girls Aloud' in 2004 and Carrie Underwood in 2007, both times recorded as a charity single that expanded the song's message to larger segments of society."
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:21 am
Ragman, you copied those 2 paragraphs out of Wikipedia while I was getting ready to!

Rod Stewart definitely did perform the Hynde/Kelly/Steinberg song. He covered it on his 2006 album, "Still the Same...Great Rock Classics Of Our Time". It is the third song.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:28 am
Complete list
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:32 am
Just found his version
i just found it..

his version it's on...an Oct. 2006 album "Still the Same... Great Rock Classics of Our Time"

"I'll Stand by You"

That'll teach me to post before researching completely.

However, I'm such a staunch Chrissie Hynde/Pretenders fan that I can't imagine liking it MORE than their's . Though, with Clive Davis producing the album and Rod the Mod singing, I'll listen to it now. Going over to "Youtube" to see if I can find it.

Nope ..I can't find Rod's version to listen to online
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:24 am
I heard somewhere that Rod Stewart is notoriously tight. Is there any truth to that?
0 Replies

malek

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:27 am
Maybe Elton would know?
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:29 am
yeah, he's tight as a fish's arse too apparently

as is Paul McCartney
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:11 pm
Just to add to that list...Mick Jagger is notoriously tight, uncharitable to a fault, and has not supported some of his illegitimate childern.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:14 pm
Oh yeah, forgot about him, the old miser!
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:48 pm
Of course, if Mick and the rest of the Stones had saved the money they made forty years ago, would they still be touring?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 12:21 am
CowDoc wrote:
Of course, if Mick and the rest of the Stones had saved the money they made forty years ago, would they still be touring?

They did save some of it. Mick Jagger has a reputation, to put it kindly, as being canny with money. He took over the financial management of the Stones when he saw what happened to other groups. He paid a lovechild settlement of 3 million dollars to Brazilian model Luciana Morad, reportedly to avoid revealing details of his personal fortune, estimated at 250 million dollars.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:24 am
I've never been a fan of the stones because of the way they treated Brian Jones the bands founder, after his murder in 1969 they didn't even have the decency to pay Brians widow (or other half) what they owed him/her. scumbags
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 03:38 am
Don1 wrote:
after his murder in 1969 they didn't even have the decency to pay Brians widow (or other half) what they owed him/her. scumbags

It's only alleged he was murdered, nobody's proved anything. I was 17 at the time, and I seem to remember he was supposed to be off his cake when he went in the swimming pool. A case for Trevor Eve?
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 03:50 am
Don1 wrote:
I've never been a fan of the stones because of the way they treated Brian Jones the bands founder, after his murder in 1969 they didn't even have the decency to pay Brians widow (or other half) what they owed him/her. scumbags

They do seem to exude greed more than any other rock n roll band don't they. Didn't know that about Brian Jones' widow, the mean bastards.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 03:59 am
Um.

They are musicians.
They play rock and roll.

Joe(how many philosopher moralist records you gonna buy?)Nation
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 12:54 pm
On his deathbed the builder who killed Brian admitted it in a sworn affidavit, it may not have been technically murder but it was certainly manslaughter.
0 Replies