Locking 'Affirmative Action'

sumac

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 06:18 pm
I just read the last four pages of this forum, and went to post, and lo, found that it was locked. There is no good reason to lock that topic. Nothing uncivil was happening there. What is happening here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,952 • Replies: 26
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 06:37 pm
its a mystery to me, i guess i missed something
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 06:42 pm
No, you didn't.
0 Replies

Sofia

It seemed a little premature, to me, as well, but I'm not a mod. I don't know what hell swirls up, and how hard it is to pat back down.

I was disappointed.
0 Replies

sumac

No, you didn't.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 06:55 pm
That's a topic I did not look in on. I become extremely emotional when people do not agree with me about it, meaning, no discourse is possible with me.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:26 pm
I just looked at a thread entitled "Affirmative Action" and it wasn't locked....?

Affirmative Action thread
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:31 pm
Well, look at that. It's unlocked again. Maybe some cooling off was needed?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:45 pm
sumac,

You presume much. How do you know dys didn't miss something? How do you know you didn't?

In the future should I ask the moderators to consult with you before locking a topic? That way they can avoid locking a topic for "no good reason".

sigh
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 08:06 pm
That was really unnecessary, CdK. Is everyone here such a trial for you?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 08:21 pm
Setanta,

It's really just tongue in cheek. I too didn't see a huge reason for locking that thread but I trust the moderators and whoever locked it had a reason. I wasn't following it so there might have been reason I am unaware of.

Those reasons are not necessarily privy to all and yes, it is IMO necessary to defend the moderator's decision when people who are not in their shoes question them with no knowledge of what happened.

And no, it is a slight minority who are troublesome. And even then only at a slight minority of the time. Many times it's not intentional. And for those reasons I will defend the moderator's decision. It's a thankless job that means they get second guessed by everyone everywhere. and often those people put very little thought into their ciriticism.

Sumac is an angel in comparison to some of the expletive laden hatemail I get.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 11:52 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Maybe some cooling off was needed?

A not unreasonable supposition. Additionally, It would not be out of line to surmise that if such were the case, some post-foolishness clean-up might have been done before a locked thread was reopened.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 03:02 am
bookmark
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 04:20 pm
CdK wrote:
I too didn't see a huge reason for locking that thread
Maybe you missed something :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 04:42 pm
I'd lock every damn thread, the mood I'm in!!!!

Just kidding! Just kidding! (Not about the mood, though...)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 04:43 pm
Actually, I have kept away from that thread because I don't think I could stay calm on it, too, Edgar.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 04:47 pm
timberlandko wrote:
... Additionally, It would not be out of line to surmise that if such were the case, some post-foolishness clean-up might have been done before a locked thread was reopened.

???
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 05:07 pm
ehBeth- On rare occasions a member or members will become so "passionate" about what they are discussing that their writing is against the Terms Of Service. After the thread is locked, a Moderator will pull the offending posts. When the thread is subsequently unlocked, the offending posts will no longer be on the thread.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 06:44 pm
Are you telling us that that is what happened,Phoenix and timber? I gotta tell you, from reading up to the end, I doubt it very much. Everyone was being civil and well positioned in their choice of words.

You can support moderator decisions all you want, Craven, but mistakes can be made. I think this was one of those mistakes.

Sorry, guys, but if I am defined as "the other" somehow, then I get to speak my mind.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 06:57 pm
What's "the other"?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Locking 'Affirmative Action'
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/12/2024 at 03:12:34