How do you know when it's time for a new mattress/bed?

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 01:26 am
How long have you had yours? And how long should a mattress last?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,106 • Replies: 32
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 01:34 am
depends on what sort of a pounding it takes. In your case a matteress could last a lifetime.

Turning and rotating can extend the life of a mattress by years.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 01:46 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 04:23 am
Depends on the quality of the mattress to start with. There are really cheap mattresses like you find in SRO's and prisons, and then there are really good mattresses like you find at Sheratons and upscale SPAs. When your mattress starts to sag in places or little pointy metal pieces poke you in the butt - it's time for a new mattress. It's worth it to do some shopping and test out different brands to find the right feel. Go for quality, spend the bucks - you spend a lot of time of that thing. Treat yourself, and your future bedmates, to some really good linens too- trust me - women notice and will think better of you for it.

Dadpad is right - turn, turn, turn.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 05:06 am
Last year we bought a new mattress.

When first looking around, I was appalled at the price of some of them.

I looked up past Consumer Reports at the library to see which brand to get.

According to CR, it's not necessary to go out and buy one that's really really expensive, just because of the brand. It's strictly on how it feels to your individual body.

Also, they said more than likely you just need to buy the top mattress...the boxspring should stay good for years and years, unless something has been done to damage it's structure.

Bottom line, if you get a decent one, it could last 20 years or more. However, it's not necessary to spend an arm and a leg for a good quality one.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 06:32 am
I think they tell you 10-15 years..which means that one would probably last longer and they just want you to buy a new one in 10-15 years.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 06:38 am
Thanks O'bill.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 06:43 am
I generally will buy a new mattress when the old one starts to be like flypaper. You know what I mean? You get up in the morning and find yourself stuck to the mattress. You struggle to free yourself. Once the struggle reaches a period of longer than fifteen minutes I head out for a new mattress.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 06:45 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 06:56 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I generally will buy a new mattress when the old one starts to be like flypaper. You know what I mean? You get up in the morning and find yourself stuck to the mattress. You struggle to free yourself. Once the struggle reaches a period of longer than fifteen minutes I head out for a new mattress.

eww...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:02 am
Chai wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

eww...

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll start changing it at the twelve-minute mark.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:11 am
Just get new straw gus... put the old stuff out onto the garden it makes fantastic mulch.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:13 am
I tried that once and it killed not only every living thing in the garden but the dirt as well. Have you ever heard dirt scream? It's a very disturbing noise.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:16 am
Im 31, I still use the single bed Ive slept in all my life......hasnt taken a pounding in years.....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:20 am
When it becomes saturated with blood.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:26 am
I think, it depends on what kind of mattress you've got (foam. latex, various kinds of springs, water ...), the quality this one ... and how extensively it was used ... perhaps for various other reasons.

I got a Latex mattress since a couple of years, Mrs Walter has a Swedish "memory foam" mattress with 25 years guarantee ...

Well, and time for a new bed?
When you move or when it doesn't fit with other furniture anymore. (We got a handmade bed, which should last a lifelong and fits fully with our other handmade furnitures in the sleeping room.)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:31 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

LOL!!!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 09:02 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I tried that once and it killed not only every living thing in the garden but the dirt as well. Have you ever heard dirt scream? It's a very disturbing noise.

Laughing Good one, gus.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 11:50 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

Or Pee! Shocked
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 12:53 pm
dadpad wrote:
depends on what sort of a pounding it takes. In your case a matteress could last a lifetime.

Turning and rotating can extend the life of a mattress by years.

Har har har
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How do you know when it's time for a new mattress/bed?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.22 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 03:37:28