Auto insurance customer support

stuh505

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 03:34 pm
I'm switching auto insurance. As the quotes are not much different in terms of price, what I am most curious about is how good their customer service is...because that's what really counts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 866 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:31 am
I think ehBeth is still in insurance and I used to be. I think a few other folks work in the field. Neither Bethie nor I are/were in customer service, at least I don't think she is. But we've both adjusted claims, and I've worked in Legal. I've worked for AIG, AETNA, Liberty, Providence Washington (went bankrupt), Plymouth Rock (probably not available where you live), and I've had GEICO but never worked for them.

Keep in mind not every carrier is available in every state and sometimes you are dealing with a local agent for the most part, rather than the actual carrier.

We have Liberty Mutual, we had gotten them when I was working there and never got rid of 'em. I've liked them in terms of they have been good with claims which I think is the main point. I've gotten reasonable explanations if something is being denied and quick service for payments. The drive-through claims is good, you need an appointment but really just to assure that you don't have to wait. Prices are high, though -- GEICO was cheaper and it's been a long time since I used them but I do recall they were okay with claims, too. But I've only been in property damage-only accidents so I've never really had to test either carrier.

Every insurance carrier wants to take your money (premiums) and hold onto it for as long as possible (claims). This is how they make their money. I found this online, dunno how good it is: http://www.leaseguide.com/Articles/autoinsurance.htm They do suggest looking at Consumer Reports and I think that's a good idea, too.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:34 am
I've found simply through experience that working with an independent agent you get the best customer service. Usually these are small business so they have more to lose if they do not service you well. The rates should be the same.

I currently deal directly with Met Life - only because I get a group discount through work so it sames me a good chunk of change.
0 Replies